Hunter: Scott Penman
Date: May 16-22, 2019
Trip Taken: Black Bear Hunting in British Columbia
Consultant: Russ Meyer | OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL
All in all I enjoyed my trip to BC for Black Bears.
I was able to get 2 nice bears and my hunting partner got a nice color phase bear. The hunting was a little slow but we did see bears each day. The camp was nice and I enjoyed the running water in the bathrooms and the shower. My guide was Danny and he was not very experienced in guiding bear hunters but he worked hard and we had good time. I think we saw somewhere around 25 bears in 7 days of hunting.
The hunt is primarily set up for late afternoon until dark but I appreciated that my guide was willing hunt mornings and mid day since the bears weren’t moving much. I got both of my bears at mid day. The group in camp was the highlight of the hunt. I made some new friends and look forward to the opportunity to hunt with some of them again.
I liked the the way the fees were set up with a price for the hunt and a trophy fee after you get a bear.
Because of this I didn’t feel pressured to get a bear unless I found one that I liked. We saw several chocolate colored bears which was nice for those looking a color phase bear. The guides did a nice job splitting up hunting areas to avoid having hunters in the same areas. The trophy care for my bears seemed to be pretty good and I had a couple of different options to get the bear hides home.
There are some things that could of been better on this trip.
The food could have been better, there were some meals that were hard to eat and by the end of the hunt there wasn’t much left in camp for our lunches. The biggest downer on this hunt was 2 nights of drama in camp. I believe that Outfitter himself was the root cause for the drama and I found myself being very uncomfortable a few times because of this. Had the outfitter not left camp before the hunt was over, I believe that this hunt would of been miserable. I tried to get my father and brother to go with me and in end I am glad they didn’t go with me as would have felt responsible for taking them on a hunt like this.
- How would you rate your trip overall? Overall, my trip was not so great (This was no fault of Outdoors International, I knew up front that this was an exploratory hunt to vet an outfitter). I would not go on a hunt with this outfitter.
- How were your guides? Good.
- How was your food and lodging? Terrible.
- How was your outfitters communication? Terrible.
- How physically demanding was your trip? Easy.
- How would you rate your Outdoors International Hunting Consultant? Russ was in camp. I am glad I got to meet him and would go on another hunt with him.
- Would you book another trip with OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL in the future? Yes.
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes.
- Can we use this in social media? Yes.
Are you interested in booking a hunt like this?
UPDATE: Do to multiple bad reviews, Outdoors International no longer represents this outfitter. However, we do still have some great options in BC.Ask For Pricing or More Information
Here are some bear hunts that you might like:
Request Pricing, Availability or More Information
Just fill out the form below, and please be thorough so we can get you exactly the type of hunt you're looking for.