Coastal British Columbia arguably has the largest population of black bears per square mile in North America.
The mild climate provides the bears with a very long feeding season starting early in the spring and ending late in the fall on the salmon spawning rivers. With abundant food and low hunting pressure, it’s easy to see why coastal bears grow to such a large size.
Why you should consider black bear hunting in BC:
- Spring and Fall seasons.
- Lots of bears.
- Big bears with thick coats. The average bear taken with our outfitters square over 6 feet, although multiple bears squaring 7 ft plus are taken with a high percentage of skulls making the record book.
- Remote backcountry with little hunting pressure.
- Amazing archery hunting opportunities.
- Good black bear combo options.
BC BLACK BEAR HUNTS:
Vancouver Island Black Bear Hunting in British Columbia
This is a coastal black bear hunt on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada.
Vancouver Island is famous for big boars! This vast area is virtually untouched and has high populations of bears….and big bears at that. In fact, this area is famous for its world-class black bears.
- Guaranteed non-resident black bear tag
- Spring Black Bear Hunt: April 1-June 15
- Fall Black Bear Hunt: September 10-November 13
- The success rate is nearly perfect at 90-100% annually.
- The average bear taken with this outfitter squares over 6 feet, although multiple bears squaring 7 ft plus are taken with a high percentage of skulls making Boone and Crockett.
- Spot and stalk.
- They also offer trophy hunts for blacktail deer, Roosevelt elk, and giant mountain lions.
Our outfitter has a history of taking some of the largest coastal black bears in the world.
Vancouver Island is famous for huge bears and near perfect coat quality. Experience the ultimate North American adventure, spot-and-stalk coastal black bear hunting while enjoying some of the world’s most beautiful scenery in your down time. Record book Roosevelt elk and big northern mountain lion can also be taken with this outfitter, so if either of those animals are on your list, let us know.
Spring Bear Hunts in BC
This outfitter offers an amazing spot-and-stalk hunt, and specializes in taking archery hunters.
We have about 15% color phase, and the Pope and Young minimum of 18 inches being common. So not only do we have high bear density’s, but have record book quality in the gene pool. 6-7 ft boars are common, with 95% of our bears taken in 2018 being mature boars. With the strong salmon run in the fall, and high density of black bears, new boars quickly move in to replace those that were shot by our hunters.
- Spring Season: May 1 through June 15.
- The hunting area is accessed by vehicle, atv’s, and hiking however all stalks are done on foot.
- Bow hunter friendly outfitter, but rifle hunting is most common.
- 15% color phase bears.
- Opportunity Rate is 100%.
- Success Rate for archery is 80%. Success Rate for rifle is 100%.
Spring bear hunt.
In the spring the black bears come out of hibernation and head to the nearest green area to gorge themselves on grass, dandelions, and new growth crops. Thus they are found along old logging roads, clear cuts, fields, and railways. We will be focusing our efforts in these areas in the spring.
Come later in the spring season (end of May, beginning of June) the boars start to wander looking for sows in heat. At this time we’ll be sticking to glassing long stretches of logging roads and glassing on the railways. This is the time that the real big bears show up, and thus the biggest bears of the season are shot during this time.
You can expect multiple opportunities.
It is not uncommon to see up to 15 black bears per day, with multiple stalks being the rule rather than the exception. Be prepared for a relaxing and enjoyable hunt. We do not get up at the crack of dawn as the big bears are primarily moving in the afternoon and evenings but at that point be ready for multiple stalks and large numbers of bears.
BC Moose/Black Bear Combo Hunt
This is a great Fall bear hunt, that you can combo with a moose.
We have been working with this outfitter for years and not only do your hosts have years of experience guiding British Columbia black bear hunting, they offer a level of service and hospitality that will provide one of the best hunting experiences you can have. In a typical day you should see between 2 to 10 bears driving to glassing points of new growth areas and grassy hillsides.
- In addition to a bear, this outfitter has agreed to throw in a wolf for Outdoors International clients.
- Spring bear hunt begins in mid-May and runs through the beginning of June when the temperature is between the mid 60’s and mid 70’s.
- The fall hunt runs from mid-September to the end of October when the mornings will be frosty; when the weather gets cold the bears are gone. The fall hunt can be a moose combo hunt.
- Spot and Stalk. Hunting areas will be accessed on foot, by 4×4, boats, and/or with horses.
- This area does have some color-phase black bears.
- Ranging from 5 to 7 1/2 feet with some weighing as much as 500 lbs. The success rate for this hunt is almost 100% to date.
- Over the counter black bear tags.
Our hunters enjoy great success.
Incredible trip! Lots of opportunity for big bears. Outfitter was very encouraging of bowhunters.
We had a wonderful bear hunt beginning with the guide picking us up at the airport. We made a short trip to the dock and took the boat to the base camp about 45 minutes across the inlets. The first day was very eventful with sighting two black bears and stalking both. After two stalks we were within 31 yards and I took my shot. The rest of the week was spent sightseeing British Columbia, fishing, crabbing and picking up oysters for dinner.
My wife loved the trip and would recommend it to any lady who wants to see what their husband does on these hunts.
I would highly recommend this hunt to anyone who wants a relatively easy black bear hunt. The guides run lots of baits and their are lots of bears around. Not to mention I must have seen 200 elk and close to that number of deer. A great experience!
SAFE, VETTED OUTFITTERS
Let's start planning your hunt!
When you’re ready to start planning your hunt, just contact us or fill out the form on this page. Be sure to let us know exactly what you have in mind, and we’ll do our best to help you find the perfect outfitter and get it booked.