Do you want to get better at bear hunting? Listen to this black bear hunting podcast to hear Russ Meyer shared some of his black bear hunting secrets that he’s learned from a lifetime of hunting bears in Idaho. Russ’s bear hunting credentials speak for themselves.
Check out his black bear hunting photo gallery
Learn How to Hunt Black Bears from Russ Meyer
Baiting for bears is really pretty easy if you just want to have a few bears come into your bait. However, targeting mature boars, knowing what a trophy bear looks like, and having them come to the bait during the day is a totally different thing. Then there’s the matter of getting an arrow into one. Hunting big black bear boars over bait is NOT an easy undertaking.
Black Bear Hunting Tips
- Get off the beaten path, away from the crowds.
- Locate your bait in the bottoms, where the wind is more reliable. Fill the canyon with the smell of your bait.
- Bears have similar taste in food to us. They don’t like stinky rotten food, although that will attract them. Bait with something yummy and sweeten it up.
- Put out enough bait to last for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Don’t visit your bait to check it or refill it until you are ready to hunt.
- Pour grease on the ground so they walk in it and leave trails back to the food.
- Be VERY careful when you decide to hunt it. Get the wind right, and sneak in. Try to hunt all day as long as the wind allows for it.
- Know what a big bear looks like. Bears are difficult to judge.
Ask Us About a Hunt Request pricing and availability
Discover why thousands of people have trusted Outdoors International to help plan their hunt.
Outdoors International has a team of hand-selected hunting experts to help you book your next hunt. Our job it is to help you in researching, booking and planning a great hunting trip with one of our amazing outfitter partners around the world.
My hunt was absolutely top notch.
The outfitter is a fantastic man and incredibly hard working and knowledgeable, there is no doubt he will do everything within his power to make peoples hunts successful and enjoyable. I plan to do it again with him next year for sure.
Our hunt was excellent.
We saw bucks every day along with all other sorts of wildlife. Mountain goats, bears, and foxes were common sights. Fishing and crabbing was special bonus. The food was excellent, the crew was amazing. Outdoors International did a great job of finding exactly what we were looking for.
What an amazing experience!
The hunting lodge was out of this world!, Rooms, food and the scenery were all A+. Our guide was exceptional and had us on Shiras moose all five days. We saw over 30 total with at least 10 bulls. They had a plan for everything including taxidermy and game processing.