Hunter: AJ Kissel
Hunt Taken: Nunivak Island, Alaska Muskox Hunt
AJ Kissel, with help from his brother, Patrick do a DIY, tradbow muskox hunt on Nunivak Island in Alaska. Nunivak Island is located in the Bering Sea about 135 miles west of Bethel. This remote island is home to approximately 200 people and 500-550 muskoxen. Spring muskox hunting is a true Arctic adventure, where you will experience the Inuit culture in the harshest environment on earth…as you will see in this video.
Muskox Hunting Season on Nunivak Island
- There are two seasons: a fall hunt from September 1-30, and a winter/spring hunt that runs from February 15 through March 15.
- Permits vary from year to year based on the year’s muskox counts.
- Permits are divided evenly between the two hunts.
- If you’re lucky enough to draw a muskox permit on Nunivak Island, you’re likely to get your bull. Success rates are nearly 100%.
- If you are an inexperienced muskox hunter, we highly recommend taking the muskox hunter orientation.
- Most access is through Mekoryuk, the only village on the island. Transportation to Mekoryuk is by regularly scheduled commercial airlines from Bethel.
- Apply by the 15th for the muskox hunt(s) of your choice on the Alaska DF&G website. If you can talk a buddy into applying with you, you will avoid having to pay for a non-hunter to join you on your own trip. You may apply up to 2 applicants on the same application and it would not hurt your odds much at all of drawing a permit.
Guided Muskox Hunts
Our Outdoors International Approved Outfitter has been hunting Nunivak Island muskox in this area since March of 1986, and entries from their hunters dominate the the Boone and Crockett and SCI record books.
Are you interesting in booking a hunt?Ask For Pricing or More Information
Here are some hunts you might be interested in:
GET MORE INFORMATION
Please be thorough so we can help you book the perfect hunting trip.
Do you have a particular destination in mind? What species would you like to hunt? Do you need to stay within a budget? Will you be hunting with a group? Etc.
LET'S START PLANNING YOUR NEXT TRIP
Be specific so we can find exactly what you're looking for.