Great fly into the forest service airstrip. 8 hours in by horseback. Primitive camping, which is what I wanted. Did not see anyone while in the backcountry, which is what I wanted.
I shot a 6×6 bull elk on the morning of the first day. I pulled the shot and was not able o recover the elk till the following day. My fault, but I knew I hit the bull and decided to keep looking. Saw a larger bull but passed on the shot because I knew I hit the 6×6. Pulled out in the afternoon and went back in the following morning and recovered.
Had an opportunity to shoot a mountain lion feeding on the elk, but passed. In Idaho, you can use your elk or mule deer tag for a mountain lion or black bear, but I wanted to shoot a mule deer instead. Missed some shot opportunities, ended up shooting a 4×4 mule deer in its bed after slipping in on it with the guide. Shot it in the neck white patch while it was bedded down. It was lights out. Great packout.
The ride was good fun, got to play Will Rogers with my horse, Dollar after it spooked and decided to get into gallop mode. Steep trails and cliff faces left me with some outstanding great memories of this Idaho adventure. Twas a true Western adventure all the way around.
My Hunting Consultant was Russ Meyer with OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL.
- How likely will you be to refer friends to Outdoors International about this hunt? Very likely
- How was the outfitters pre-hunt communication? Excellent
- How would you rate the overall trophy quality? NA (This was not a trophy hunt)
- How would you rate the outfitters lodging? Excellent
- How would you rate the food? Good
- How savvy/knowledgeable was your guide? Excellent
- How was the Field Dressing and Trophy Preparation: Good
- Was your hunt successful? Yes
- Were you happy with your trophy and the overall experience? Absolutely
- How physically difficult was the hunt? Difficult
- Is there anything that the outfitter should do differently in your opinion? Have a couple of places to take meat to in the event one place is no longer taking orders for processing. Seems like only one show in town in Challis. Took my mule deer back to Arizona for processing. Not a major problem. This operation is the real deal. Be in shape, have good mountain boots, and a “never give up” attitude. It is a great hunt and the outfitters crew that I dealt with Adam and Andrew were top notch. I like the outfitters dry sense of humor. Had a black mule with big ears named “Obama.”
- What would you like to see OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL offer or do more of or do differently? Probably stress to outfitters that the contract price is exactly that. If you want sales tax included then include it within the contract price. Russ did a great job in handling this.
- Will you book another trip with OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL in the future? Yes. Am considering going back there again next year…or maybe a Wyoming deer hunt.
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes
- Can we use this in social media? Yes