Adventures in Idaho
If you’re looking for epic outdoor adventures and unforgettable memories that the whole family will enjoy, look no further than Idaho. The Gem State is just that, and we’d love to help you find those perfect adventures in Idaho.
The Best Adventures in Idaho:
- Whitewater Rafting and Kayaking
- Backcountry Summer Pack Trips
- Idaho has Fishing Trips Galore
- More epic trips coming soon…
Idaho Whitewater Adventures
Idaho is blessed with so many whitewater rafting and kayaking opportunities, it’s hard to choose which ones are the best. We asked around, and here are our top picks for the best whitewater in Idaho.
Salmon River Basin
- Middle Fork of the Salmon River – Class III+ to IV / 100 miles / 27 fpm
- Big Creek – Class IV / 36 miles / 60 fpm
- Bear Valley Creek – Class III+ / 17 Miles / 40 fpm
- Loon Creek
- Camas Creek
- Rapid River
- Salmon River of No Return – Class III / 82 Miles / 12 fpm
- Panther Creek – Class III-V / 15.2 Miles / 79 fpm
- Salmon River Canyons
- South Fork of the Salmon – Class V / 36.2 Miles / 41 fpm
- Secesh River
- East Fork of the South Fork Salmon River
Snake River Basin
- Snake River through Hells Canyon – Class II – IV / 31.7 miles / 10.69 fpm
Clearwater River Basin
- Selway River – Class IV / 47.9 miles / 14 fpm
- Lochsa River – Class IV / 9 miles / 22 fpm
- North Fork of the Clearwater
- South Fork of the Clearwater
Payette River Basin
- North Fork of the Payette River
- South Fork of the Payette, Staircase Run – Class IV / 4.6 Miles / 33 fpm
- Deadwood River
- Jarbidge – Bruneau – Class IV / 71 Miles / 35 fpm
- South Fork of the Owyhee River
- Deep Creek
The Middle Fork of the Salmon River
The wild, free flowing Middle Fork of the Salmon River is located in the largest wilderness in the lower 48. If you float the entire Middle Fork of the Salmon, your whitewater float trip will be six days and up to 100 miles long!
The Middle Fork of the Salmon River has over one hundred classified rapids with several of the highest being Class 4 and the rest being Class 1 to 3. For five or six fun-filled days, you will continuously witness dramatic changes in geology and scenery as the guides work hard to strike a balance between fun and safety. Traditionally, the highest water levels are late May and early June. This is the time to come for the big water.
The Middle Fork of the Salmon River is a gem located in Idaho’s Frank Church Wilderness. One of the largest wilderness areas in the Lower 48.
- World-class whitewater rafting and fly-fishing.
- Class 2, 3 and 4 rapids on gin-clear water through canyons deeper than the Grand Canyon.
- Soak in riverside hot springs
- Professional licensed guides
- Everything supplied. You just bring your personal items.
- Primitive, yet comfortable tent camps on sandbars along the river. You will be surprised how comfortable they make them.
- Gourmet river cuisine. Your guides will create dishes that will blow your mind. It doesn’t seem possible to cook such great food in such a remote, rugged atmosphere and over an open fire.
- June – August
- Arrive day prior, spend the night in Stanley.
- 5 or 6 Day Floats
- On the last day you will be shuttled back to Stanley where we recommend staying and leaving the next morning.
- Contact us if you’d like to see pricing and availability.
Depending on when you go, the Middle Fork can be an exciting whitewater adventure or a laid back, family-friendly river float.
Whitewater is often the biggest concern when planning your family vacation… and these concerns are valid. However, don’t be discouraged from enjoying what countless families described as the “greatest vacation they’ve ever experienced.” This Class IV Middle Fork of the Salmon River drops approximately 28 feet per mile, going from high alpine down to an overall warmer climate where you will float the 2nd deepest canyon in the Lower 48. For six fun-filled days, you will continuously witness dramatic changes in geology and scenery.
This float trip has been described as “life changing” by many of our clients.
This trip is a family friendly whitewater rafting adventure on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho’s Frank Church Wilderness area. The Frank Church Wilderness is an awe inspiring place to get away from your phone, computer, and the rest of the “real world”. You will see cultural and historical sites, pictographs, the guides will tell you about the mining history, early settler history, you’ll learn about the Sheepeater War, swim, hike, run trails, experience stories around the campfire, there are inflatable kayaks and paddle boat opportunities, as well as deluxe fishing boat options.
The Middle Fork Canyon is teeming with wildlife.
Bighorn sheep, moose, elk, mule deer, bears, wolves, and many smaller animals including the always popular river otter. A bird watchers paradise, you will see a multitude of birds as well.
Blue Ribbon Fly Fishing can be had on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River.
The Middle Fork of the Salmon River has some spectacular fly fishing. You’ll catch and release literally hundreds of wild Cutthroat trout, Rainbow trout, Bull trout, juvenile salmon, steelhead and whitefish. You can fish from the boats, camps, or the many stops we make throughout the day. If you are just learning the art of flyfishing, the guides are willing and knowledgeable instructors.
Backcountry Pack Trips in Idaho
Unplug, recharge, bring your family together with one of our summer pack trips in the Idaho backcountry.
Enjoy your trip back to sanity, while your hosts provide some awesome food, luxury wall tent lodging, all the while plenty of laughs and storytelling around the campfire while making smores and trying to get the sticky marshmallows off your fingers.. Heck, it isn’t a question of “IF” your family or you need this. We all need this & we all know, we do.. You have a choice this summer. Where will you go on that family vacation? What will you let influence your family this summer? We all want/need to reconnect.
A summer pack trip makes the perfect family vacation. What better way to reconnect with each other than a wilderness adventure?
- Ride safe, well broke horses and mules.
- You’ll have top-notch guides and a personal cook in camp.
- Stay in comfortable tents supplied with nice cots and comfy pads.
- Most outfitters even offer warm showers, believe it or not.
- Catch a trout almost every cast… Test your fly fishing, or use terminal tackle, be our guest. Fish that haven’t had many, if anything tossed at them… They are here and they await you and maybe your family….
We would like to invite outdoor adventurous and enthusiastic people with a love for the outdoors on a summer pack trip in Idaho. Imagine! Get out of your truck & leave the crazy world behind for a week. Jump on a horse, feel the tension melt away as you ride peacefully through the backcountry on your way to a wilderness hideaway. Feel the breeze, smell the wildness, let it surround and fill you full of life. See beautiful country and wildlife, let the serenity of the wilderness sink in.
We’d love to help you book a great adventure.
Whether you just want to know some prices, or need more information about one of our destinations, OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL is here as a resource, and it won’t cost you a thing.
Just fill out the form below or give us a call at (208) 991-4868 and we’ll get started matching your priorities, budget, timing and expectations to the ideal destination.