The Middle Fork Salmon River has absolutely incredible fishing for wild, native Cutthroat trout, Rainbow trout, and whitefish which range from 4-18 inches in length. We recommend that you use 4 lb. test fishing line or heavier and 5X leader or larger. Muddler Minnows and split shot are a good combination for use with a spinning rod. Please feel free to bring anything that you would like to experiment with, but keep in mind that we will be a long way from the tackle shop when we’re on the river. Spare equipment is definitely a good idea.
- All fishing on the Middle Fork Salmon River is catch and release.
- Fly fishing or spin casting equipment are both acceptable.
- You must fish with artificial fly or lure with a single barbless hook.
- Lures with treble hook must have two hooks removed and flatten barb on the third. For flies you only have to flatten the barb.
- Flies can be used with spin casting equipment with the help of split shot and/or casting bobbers.
- Fishing licenses can be purchased at River One Sports in Stanley, Idaho either before or after the orientation. Or at most of the sporting goods stores and convenience stores in Idaho.
Fishing Gear for the Middle Fork Salmon River
- Split Shot
- Extra Line (minimum 4 lb, we suggest 6 lb test for spin fishing)
- Leaders (minimum 4 lb, 5X)
- Rod & Reel
- License (Can be purchased in Stanley or Challis)
- Small pair of needle nose pliers
- Hard case for fishing pole – We recommend the type case that allows you to stow your rod with the reel still attached.
*Please do not bring hip boots or waders, felt soled wading shoes can be handy.
First Choice Flies
- Muddler Minnow (8,10,12)
- Renegade (10,12)
- Royal Wulff (10,12,14)
- Stimulators in colors orange, yellow and green (8,10)
- Dave’s Hopper (8,10)
- Joe’s Hopper (8,10)
- Parachute Hopper (8,10)
Other Fly Choices
- Wooly Worm (8,10,12)
- Elk Hair Caddis (10,12,14)
- Humpy (12,14)
- Irresistible (12,14)
- Royal Coachman (12,14)
- Adams (12,14)
Spin Fishing Lures
- Mepps Spinner #1 or #2
- Panther Martin