British Columbia Fishing
British Columbia offers first class fishing with a ton of value. British Columbia fishing is so good, partly because of it’s 25,000 lakes and 12,000+ miles of coastline. Anglers travel from around the world to fish for salmon, halibut, sturgeon, and steelhead.
British Columbia’s Best Fishing Spots
- Haida Gwaii – Haida Gwaii is a remote archipelago just south of Alaska, known for having some of the best salmon fishing in the world.
- Skeena River – Excellent salmon fishing in the summer, and great steelhead from spring to fall.
- Campbell River – The Campbell River has good fishing all four seasons. Salmon fishing is good from May to November, with steelhead and cutthroat trout fishing during the winter.
- Quesnel Lake – Located in eastern BC, Quesnel Lake is one of the world’s deepest fjord lakes. May is probably the best month, but you can enjoy good rainbow and bull trout fishing year round.
- Fraser River – 20 to 50 million salmon run through the Fraser River every year, along with good numbers of trout and steelhead. This river is also known as the world’s best sturgeon fishery.
- Williston Lake – The largest lake in British Columbia, Williston Lake holds rainbow trout, kokanee, lake trout, sockeye salmon and Northern pike.
- Bulkley River – A major tributary of the Skeena River, the Bulkley has one of the world’s largest steelhead runs.
- Dean River – The Dean River is considered by many anglers as one of the world’s best managed fisheries. With two late spring runs, along with rainbow trout and salmon, the Dean is a popular steelhead fishing destination.
- Victoria – A BC fishing hotspot for salmon, halibut, rockfish, lingcod and snapper.
- Elk River – Known as “Trout Town”, the Elk River is a world-class dry fly fishing destination. July through October offers excellent fishing for cutthroat and bull trout.
Haida Gwaii Fishing Lodge
5-star fishing for a 3-star price – A great trip for anglers looking to bring home some fish!
Incredible British Columbia fishing trip in the stunning and remote Haida Gwaii area of British Columbia. The area is made up of rugged rocky shorelines, secluded bays, quaint villages, ancient temperate rain forests and mile after mile of vast sandy, unspoiled beaches. Haida Gwaii is known for having some of the best salmon fishing in the world.
5-Star Fishing Adventure for a 3-Star Price!
In the morning you’ll be hooking up on Kings with mooching rods and center pin reels…it’s crazy fun, then, in the afternoon you’ll drop some crab pots and then head out to catch some Halibut.
You will experience the best Pacific saltwater combo fishing in Canada. While on your trip you can catch king salmon, silver salmon, halibut, cod, yellow eye, and many different rockfish. The boats accommodate three or four per boat plus your guide. Usually you will head out in the morning and troll for kings or silvers and once you limit out head out to jig for halibut and other bottom fish.
Great Corporate Fishing Trip
The lodge makes for a great corporate destination. Located on Graham Island in Haida Gwaii, the fishing lodge sits across the road from the harbor just outside of the little town of Sandspit, British Columbia offering a spectacular view. You will find the lodge has a cozy and relaxed atmosphere, comfortable rooms, and excellent food.
Come home with a lot of fresh fish!
Catch processing is included in your package and guests typically leave with about 70 pounds of fresh salmon and halibut. At the end of each fishing day your catch will be processed, packaged, flash frozen and then boxed for your trip home. If you haven’t eaten halibut or fresh caught salmon you don’t know what you’re missing out on. Many say these are the best eating fish they have ever had and come back each year for more!
Hook Kings with fly rods in the morning, then drop some crab pots and then head out to catch some halibut!
- Excellent fishing for King salmon and halibut.
- The fishing is best June through early September.
- The fishing lodge is a relaxed 5 Star refined rustic getaway that comes with all the modern amenities and then some!
- All the meals are Chef prepared.
- This is an all inclusive trip once you arrive. Trips are four nights with three full days of fishing for all species available.
Dean River Steelhead Fishing
The Dean River in British Columbia is known for having strong, hard fighting steelhead that crush flies!
Imagine yourself sight fishing for fresh, lice covered steelhead. To fish the Dean is a privilege, and this outfitter is among the best. We’d love to help you set up this amazing fishing trip in British Columbia. The Dean River is known in the world of steelhead fishing for having the hottest, strongest fish around…. they’re fresh from the ocean and they CRUSH flies!
This is a unique fishing trip. You will be fully guided below the canyon, and self guided above.
It’s not for everybody, but if you’re experienced and want some time on your own from time to time, it’s probably just what the doctor ordered. There’s nothing quite like doing it on your own. Pick your water, read it right, fish it how you want to fish it, and land that fresh, beautiful steelhead.
You’ll want to fish the Dean River in the summer, it can be hit or miss otherwise.
You can go earlier, but if you really want to hit the peak for steelhead (and who doesn’t), fish in July or August. A bonus if you fish towards the end of August, is you might start picking up some Coho’s…. but you’re there for the steelhead.
You could be fishing within a mile and a half of the salt on the Dean River.
The Dean River is known in the world of steelhead fly fishing for having the hottest, strongest fish around…. they’re fresh from the ocean and they CRUSH flies!
- Fish the Lower Dean River – the mouth, 1 1/2 miles up to the Canyon.
- You can also fish the Upper Dean – from the Canyon up to 5 Mile.
- Most anglers use Spey rods, but a single-handed rod will be just fine.
- Remote! Travel from Bella Coola to our lodge on the Dean using a chartered helicopter.
- Not a trip for beginners, if you’ve never fished for steelhead or salmon before, ask us to recommend a different trip.
Dear whoever is thinking about fishing with this team of great people. I have tarpon, redfish, billfished, salmon fished and have the pictures to prove that I have been in the the top 5 percent for those trips. These guys gave me the holy grail of fishing. One cannot believe that people can create a situation where humans and nature mate and we can love that day so in our dreams we can smile about it every night. Can’t wait to make it back. I had such a great time, as close to heaven as I have ever been.
I’ve been on the steelhead trip 2 years in a row and I plan on going back this year. The steelhead fishing is incredible! I’ve never been anywhere that you could consistently catch several steelhead every day. I’ve never been skunked on any day there which is typical for steelhead fishing. The staff are top notch. The guides are fun and experienced and the lodging staff cater to your every need. The meals are fantastic and the lodging is so much better than your typical fish camp. I can’t say enough about this trip, it’s quite affordable and I plan on going back for many years.
This truly was the trip of a lifetime. I will NEVER forget catching my first steelhead – and tons more throughout the week. The scenery is unreal, the food was fantastic, and the camaraderie was so much fun. Coming back to the lodge and cabins after an epic day of fishing and sharing pictures and stories with everyone is a blast. I cannot wait to go back.
When people ask me about my steelhead trip to Alaska, I usually am rendered speechless. Matt, the host, said “this trip will change your life” – I thought he was crazy. He was right. I have never been anywhere that has made such an impact on me. And I have never been sadder to leave somewhere. The sheer numbers of fish we caught was reason enough to go. But when you factor in everything else from the fun, EXTREMELY knowledgeable guides to the delicious food, it adds up to one of the best experiences of my life.
Having been on multiple trips with Matt and Alex this is by far my favorite. I’m about to book for a third season, and could not be more excited. This trip provides it all. Great fishing, top notch accommodations, and the food that a 5 star restaurant would provide. This is a trip that doesn’t make you feel like a customer. You feel like you are part of the team, and like you’re fishing on your home river with friends. This is something I will do every single year no questions asked.
Matt Sprecher does it again! From the lodging,to the food,to the exceptional guides. It is certainly a trip for all abilities and would recommend for anyone looking to fall in love with Alaska and the magnificent steelhead. Thanks again!
In every way, this trip exceeded my expectations! I knew from the end of the first day that this ‘once in a lifetime’ trip will probably become an annual trip. The fishing, scenery, accommodations and staff were second to none. Our Alaskan guide was super knowledgable and was probably the most patient instructor I’ve ever had fly fishing. This trip is not just for ‘experienced’ fly fishers as I learned plenty and never felt like I was out of my league. Catching chrome bright steelhead is a total life changer and has consumed my thoughts since my flight home from Alaska. Already planning my trip for next year.
My brother-in-law and I just went on the Alaska trip in late September. The fishing was simply amazing. I can’t believe we caught that many steelhead. All six days of fishing were great. I liked that we got to fish four different rivers – this mixed things up and kept things interesting. Changing from drifting one river, to cruising another with the power boat, to hiking the other rivers really kept things fresh. The two Alaskan guides were excellent and had great knowledge of every river we fished. The chef/host Billy is such a great guy. He took excellent care of us, made sure everybody had what they needed, and made sure all fishing logistics were set every day. His food was off the charts and he did a super job meeting my special dietary needs. The cabins are well appointed and very comfortable, and the location (between all four rivers) and views absolutely cannot be beat.”
We fished with Pete fields on the Deschutes River in central Oregon, and had an amazing time. He was very knowledgeable about the fishing and the history of the area we fished. He made the trip about more than just the steelhead fishing, which is what I enjoyed the most. Anyone can catch fish, but our guide made it an experience, and we still caught fish!
Had a great steelhead fishing experience on the Lower Deschutes River in Oregon. I spent about eight hours on the water with Pete, and his instruction on Spey casting (I was a first timer with a two-handed rod) was easily understood.