This is a highly debated topic, but there are a few hotspots that stand out. We’ve all heard of the incredible fishing in Alaska and Canada, but besides those two obvious choices, here are the best places to salmon fish.
The Best Places to Salmon Fish in the World
- Everybody knows that Alaska and Canada are among the best places to go salmon fishing, but we’ll start the list off with them anyway.
- Russia has some amazing fishing and very little pressure, for King salmon, Chums and Silver salmon depending on the time of year. The Kamchatka Peninsula is probably the most popular fishing destination in Russia.
- Iceland is a great place to sight fishing in gin clear water, with hundreds of rivers to choose from.
- Norway is definitely one of the best places to go salmon fishing. Every year, a huge run of approximately 600,000 Atlantic salmon travel the fjords and rivers of Norway.
- Salmon are in the rivers of Scotland almost year round, with the peak of the season falling in the middle of January.
- The East Coast of the United States has some incredible fishing. One great spot is the Merrymeeting River in New Hampshire, which has a great run of Atlantic salmon that peaks in May.
- New Zealand has good fishing on the South Island, although their chinook salmon don’t grow as large as they do in North America.
- Sweden is another little known salmon fishing hotspot in Europe. It is one of the best places to go salmon fishing in the world.
Are you ready to go salmon fishing?
We can hook you up with the best salmon fishing guides in the world.Ask Us About a Fishing Trip Request pricing and availability
Discover why thousands of people have trusted Outdoors International to help plan their trips.Outdoors International has a team of hand-selected fishing experts to help you book your next trip. Our job it is to help you in researching, booking and planning a great trip with one of our amazing outfitter partners around the world.
I expected big trout on this trip based on all the stories I've read over the years, and I was not disappointed! I broke my own personal best rainbow trout record at least SIX times on this trip, with the biggest being a 16 pound beauty.
I will be going again soon!