So you booked a fishing trip in Alaska, and now you need to know what to take with you. Be sure to talk to your guide about any specific gear that you should bring, but this Alaska ocean fishing gear list should cover you.
SUGGESTED GEAR LIST
Halibut, Salmon, Rockfishing and Lingcod fishing in Alaska.
- Passport (if needed), and copy of Passport
- Airline tickets, Credit cards, Wallet, Cash, Cell Phone/Charger
- Ballpoint pen and Sharpie
- Reading material
- Travel Insurance Documentation
- Travel toothbrush, toothpaste
- Bar of soap in a ziplock bag, shampoo
- Travel Kleenex tissues, packet of wet wipes
- Shaving and grooming articles
- Eye drops. Contact lens wearers should bring extra glasses (in case of irritation)
- 3M Nexcare waterproof bandages
- Moleskin with travel scissors (essential)
- Neosporin ointment
- Anti-diarrhea medicine (e.g. Imodium AD)
- Tylenol or Advil and throat lozenges
- Motion sickness pills
- Antacid (e.g. Pepto-Bismol tablets)
- Gold Bond medicated powder
- Sunscreen, at least 30 SPF, (bring extra)
- After-sun aloe-vera lotion
- Packets to mix with bottled water (e.g. Mio, Crystal Light)
- Insect repellent spray, Benadryl 2% cream (bugs are seldom a problem)
- Prescription medicine (2 week supply) – Bring any medication that you’re already taking and any that you think you might need on the trip.
- For Airport Security, carry copies of the Doctor Rx or the actual Prescription bottles.
- Polarized sunglasses, (at least 2)
- Optical cloth cleaner or solution
- Small flashlight or headlamp with extra batteries
- Travel alarm clock
- Extra luggage ID tags
- Gallon zip-lock bags for waterproofing and ice
- Small roll of Gorilla tape and zap a gap
- Ear Plugs
- Personal clothes for climate, long underwear / wool or polar fleece socks / dinner clothes (casual nice)
- Warm sweater or Hooded coat for under rain gear.
- Layers of clothing for fishing. Including windbreaker.
- Hiking shoes + second pair of shoes.
- Sandals and shoes to wear around the lodge.
- Lip balm
- Bug spray for mosquitoes and some no-seeums.
General Fishing Gear
- Hook file
- Fishing pliers and/or hemostats
- Line clippers, pocket knife
- Small boat towel, sunglass wipe-cleaners
- Small first aid kit
- Waterproof bag for camera equipment etc.
- Panatone marking pens: orange, pink, yellow