Most of the time when fly fishing in Kamchatka, you’re targeting trophy rainbow trout. At any time, you can fish a riffle for trophy-sized grayling that will rival anything in Alaska, and the salmon fishing is amazing during their runs… this place is an incredible fishery! Depending on the day, you may wade or fish from the boats.
High Fish Density
The rivers of Kamchatka are filled with millions of salmon, and you have the recipe for monster Rainbows and lots of them. However, depending on when you go, there are lots of Kings, Silvers, Chums, and Dolly Varden.
The hatches can be so prolific, that the caddis flies will cover the rafts up to an inch thick! Kamchatka has extraordinarily huge hatches of various Stoneflies, Mayflies, and Caddis, plus spring and fall Beatis, Green Drakes and Pale Morning Duns.
Mousing for Trout
Everybody’s heard of the great Kamchatka salmon fishing, but it has some out-of-this-world mousing for big rainbow trout too! In fact, a 100 fish day on mouse patterns is not unheard of. Also, July is the month of the big Caddis hatches, so you have to choose between mousing and throwing dries…. what a conundrum! The Dolly Varden move up into the rivers in July as well, and you will catch A LOT of them.
There are more than a dozen watersheds on the peninsula with big runs of salmon in all of them during this time of year. The rivers are stuffed with different species of fish. Silvers will be coming up the rivers by the second week, and by now the Kings and Chums will be spawning. So, you will target the spawning beds or big trout. They will destroy a mouse or streamer, and there is no need to throw beads.
- When fly fishing Kamchatka, you might be swinging streamers, mousing, or throwing dry flies on floating line.
- In Kamchatka, trout will destroy a mouse or streamer, and there is no need to throw beads.
- The average rainbow trout is four pounds, with some weighing more than six. Fish over 30 inches are caught yearly.
- The trout on Kamchatka are aggressive.
- Dolly Varden, King salmon, Chums and Silver salmon fishing can be amazing depending on the time of year.
- July is when you go for King salmon and Rainbow trout.
- August is prime time for Salmon Fishing.
We understand how fishing conditions change throughout the season and we give you advice based on peak fishing times. When it comes to fly fishing, we have high standards, and do our best to set realistic expectations. Call us to discover how easy it is to book your dream trip with Outdoors International.