Hunter: Mark White
Date: September, 2020
The moose hunt overall was a great success and we’ve already re-booked for 2022!
We averaged seeing 14 moose per day with an average of 10 of them being bulls! The rut appeared to just be kicking off as we saw mainly saw small bachelor groups of bulls. My bull had a cow that he was with and we did see a couple other bulls with cows but we mostly saw small groups of bulls together.
We killed both of our bulls from camp on the 3rd and 4th day. After we were tagged out, we called six more bulls into camp one evening. We had four bulls all com in together at one point!
- Overall, my moose hunt was a great experience.
- My outfitter’s communication before, during and after the trip was fair.
- Physically, the trip was moderate.
- The food was fair.
- The accommodations were fair.
My Hunting Consultant was Russ Meyer with OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL.
Russ’s communication before, during and after the trip was good. My consultant was very knowledgeable, and a pleasure to talk to.
We had two minor issues that I had been warned about from OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL and several of the hunters I had called and talked to.
- One was around communication once you were in the field. I’ve discussed the details with Russ Meyer, but ultimately the outfitter’s lack of timely response caused some anxiety during the hunt. You just didn’t know if they’d received your text or not since they didn’t reply. That caused us to burn more battery time on our inReach than necessary because we were waiting on responses that sometimes didn’t happen all day. In the end, they did deliver on getting our animals and ourselves out of the bush in a timely fashion, they just communicated the plan poorly.
- The second item was that we had booked a supplied camp, and quite a bit of the food had expired, some of it two years prior. It was all packaged items like mashed potatoes, fettuccine, fruit cups, etc., but when we paid for food and camp supplies you at least want it to not be expired. On our next trip we are going to supply our own camp and food supplies. Having said that, I do recommend the supplied camp for a first time person due to the logistics of getting all of your gear to Bethel, Alaska in time for your hunt. We ran into several hunters who’s supplies had not shown up yet and they had to stay in town until they arrived.
Would you book another trip with OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL in the future? Yes. Already did!
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes
- Can we use this in social media? Yes