Idaho has populations of Rocky Mountain Bighorn and California Bighorn Sheep
Idaho’s stereotypical mountain country is home to the Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep. California bighorns live in the high desert country of Southern Idaho, and count towards a Rocky Mountain for those of you going for you Sheep Slam.
How to Get an Idaho Sheep Tag:
- You can apply through the annual Idaho Fish and Game lottery. You must buy a hunting license and apply during the month of April.
- Each winter Idaho auctions off a statewide sheep tag at the national Wild Sheep Foundation convention. It usually sells between $30,000 & $120,000. (Unit 11 is excluded every other year.)
- Idaho offers an annual raffle for a statewide sheep tag administered through the Idaho Wild Sheep Foundation. (Unit 11 is excluded every other year.)
IDAHO SHEEP HUNTS:
Frank Church Wilderness Area
Idaho Hunting Units 26, 26L, 27L and 20A
Do to the remote nature of the Frank Church Wilderness Area, these are some of the “easiest” sheep tags to draw in North America. If you have drawn and you’ll looking for a great outfitter, get ahold of us.
This sheep hunt is in the heart of the rutting and wintering area, is fairly easy to draw, and this Outfitter is a great choice for hunters who buy the Idaho Auction Tag as well.
Sheep numbers in the Frank Church are on the increase, which is good news all around.
- The Frank Church Wilderness Area is very remote.
- All of these Idaho sheep hunting units are wilderness fly-in hunts.
- You’ll hunt from horseback and on foot.
- Rams range in size from 160 to 180+ inches.
- Drawing odds for these units are some of the best for any sheep hunt, anywhere.
The application numbers can change annually so be sure to check the Idaho Fish & Game website, for the current 4-digit unit number. You must apply during the month of April. Idaho sheep hunting odds vary from the time of year you can hunt, the toughness of terrain, access, and more.
If you wish to start planning your Idaho bighorn sheep hunt, let us know now and we will in turn provide you with a reminder and information when the drawing time draws near. This is a special hunt that should be considered.
SAFE, VETTED OUTFITTERS
Let's start planning your hunt!
When you’re ready to start planning for your Idaho sheep hunting trip, just contact us or fill out the form on this page. Be sure to let us know exactly what you have in mind, and we’ll do our best to help you find the perfect outfitter and get it booked.
Our hunters enjoy great success.
I couldn’t believe in less than seven days I had harvested a dall sheep and a grizzly bear, it was a trip of a life time! I cant say enough about how impressed I was with this Outfitter. From the knowledge of the outdoors to how my made my time in camp with him very memorable.
Sheep and tag numbers are on the increase which is good news all around. If you wish to sheep hunt, let us know now and we will in turn provide you with a reminder and information when the drawing time draws near. This is very special hunt and should be considered by anyone who calls himself a hunter, at least once before you retire the boots and rifle.