Charcoal Grilled Leg of Bear Recipe
- 1 whole hind leg (rump to shank) of black bear, trimmed of all fat and silver skin
- Your choice of spices to taste
*To prevent the outside of the leg from charring, monitor temperature with a thermometer and use indirect-heat or hot-smoke cooking methods. Add smokewood chunks to charcoal to create a fragrant smoke on the meat.
- Prepare leg, making sure all fat is trimmed – Caution: When grilling bear meat, dripping fat will ignite! Trim all fat before cooking!
- Sprinkle or rub all sides of the trimmed leg evenly with spices
- Prepare charcoal grill for low to medium heat or an indirect-heat set up
- Place leg on grill and cook slowly for 6-10 hours or until desired doneness, turning occasionally and re-seasoning
- Allow bear meat to reach an internal temp of 160 degrees F before consumption