It sounds like it should be utterly disgusting, but our Barbecued Deer Ham is great as a meat dish for a unique supper or for BBQ sandwiches. It’s not like a pork ham. Pork is fatty, but deer are lean. So you have to be VERY careful not to overcook.
Barbecued Deer Ham
- 1 deer ham
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. bacon
- 1 large oven roasting bag
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- Salt and pepper
- Make wide slits in the ham, cutting as deeply as possible.
- Fill slits with bacon, then place ham in the oven roasting bag.
- In mixing bowl, blend together barbecue sauce, honey, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce mixture over meat.
- Close and seal bag, then cut several slits in top of bag.
- Bake at 325°F for one hour.
- Reduce oven to 225°F and continue cooking overnight.