I don’t understand all of the hate that black bear meat gets…. especially if it’s a spring bear. My entire family LOVES it luckily because bear hunting in the Spring is one of my favorite things in this world. Maybe you just have to cook it right (and take good care of the meat in the field of course). Anyway, here’s a tried and true bear roast recipe that is tough to screw up.
Bear Roast Recipe
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 TBSP Brown Sugar (I usually substitute with honey)
- 1 TBSP Paprika
- 1 TSP Salt
- 1/2 TSP Black Pepper
- 3 LB Bear Roast (Need help getting a bear? Here’s some great hunts. *shameless plug)
- 6 TBSP Cider Vinegar
- 1 CUP Chicken Broth
- 2 TSP Worcestershire Sauce
- Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- 1 TSP Sugar (honey works too)
- 1 TSP Dry Mustard
- 1/2 TSP Cayenne Pepper
- Place onion in a slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper. Mixing thoroughly.
- Rub the mixture on the meat, coating evenly. Place the roast in the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, chicken broth, worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard and cayenne pepper. Mixing thoroughly.
- Add to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove the meat and discard the fat. (Bear fat sucks.)
That’s it. It’s a super simple recipe that always turns out great. This is a good one for a Sunday afternoon.
Here’s another good bear recipe: Charcoal Grilled Leg of Bear