If you’re going moose hunting and want to learn how to field judge a moose, here are a few quick tips…
How to Field Judge a Moose
- From the side, the tips of the palms should nearly touch the hump on the bulls back. The brow tines should reach halfway down the bridge of the nose.
- There should be palmation between the front brow tines, not just two or three long spikes.
- From the front, look for at least 10 inches of open space between the bulls body, and the inner edges of the palm. Another way, is to use the ears. A mature bull has ears that measure roughly 30 inches from tip to tip. The ears themselves are 9 to 10 inches long each. If there’s an extra ear length of antler spread on either side, he’s pushing 50 inches. The widest spread measurement is only counted once. So, it’s not a huge factor in final score.
- The length and width of the palms are super important. You can also use the ears to estimate the width of each palm. Palms should be at least as wide as the ears are long.
- Be warned, body size can vary greatly, so be cautious, especially in areas that have a width minimum.
MOOSE HUNTING Guides & outfitters
We can help you choose a good, vetted outfitter with a proven track record of putting hunters on good bulls.
Our service does not cost you more than booking directly with an outfitter! Why not get some advice from an expert? When you’re ready to start planning your moose hunt, just contact us or fill out the form on this page. Let us know what you have in mind. We’ll do our best to help you find the perfect outfitter and get it booked.
Discover why thousands of people have trusted Outdoors International to help plan their hunt.
Outdoors International has a team of hand-selected hunting experts to help you book your next hunt. Our job it is to help you in researching, booking and planning a great hunting trip with one of our amazing outfitter partners around the world.
My hunt was absolutely top notch.
The outfitter is a fantastic man and incredibly hard working and knowledgeable, there is no doubt he will do everything within his power to make peoples hunts successful and enjoyable. I plan to do it again with him next year for sure.
Our hunt was excellent.
We saw bucks every day along with all other sorts of wildlife. Mountain goats, bears, and foxes were common sights. Fishing and crabbing was special bonus. The food was excellent, the crew was amazing. Outdoors International did a great job of finding exactly what we were looking for.
What an amazing experience!
The hunting lodge was out of this world!, Rooms, food and the scenery were all A+. Our guide was exceptional and had us on Shiras moose all five days. We saw over 30 total with at least 10 bulls. They had a plan for everything including taxidermy and game processing.