While you’re preparing for your moose hunt, and thinking about learning how to call moose, don’t worry, because it’s not that difficult. The only equipment you need is a moose call.
- You can purchase a moose call here or even just use a cone of some sort to amplify your voice.
- Some moose hunters only use their cupped hands.
- A traditional call is made out of birch bark, and they’re fairly easy to make on your own.
How to call moose
There are only two main moose sounds to learn: the cow call and the bull call.
- Set up in a good area with lots of moose sign and start calling.
- Mix in a series of cow calls with intermittent bull grunts.
- The most important thing to remember with moose hunting is to have the wind right. Moose trust their noses EVERY time.
- You can accentuate your moose calls by breaking limbs or “flashing” a boat paddle in the sun to resemble antlers.
- Sometimes a moose decoy will make all the difference.
- Don’t expect a bull moose to come racing in like elk sometimes do. Sometimes they are hard to convince and they are never in a hurry, so take your time.
Cow Moose Sounds
Cow moose usually make a moaning sound, sometimes long and drawn out for up to 10 seconds, and sometimes shorter and “whiny” sounding. When you hear it in the woods, you will be surprised. I almost guarantee it.
Bull Moose Sounds
A bull moose makes a subtle, throaty, airy grunting sound. It’s hard to describe without hearing it. We have attached a video below that has some good moose rut vocalizations. Give it a listen in the video below.
MOOSE HUNTING Guides & outfitters
If you go with a good moose hunting guide, you really don’t need to know how to call because he will do the calling for you.
Discover why thousands of people have trusted Outdoors International to help plan their hunt.
Outdoors International has a team of hand-selected hunting experts to help you book your next hunt. Our job it is to help you in researching, booking and planning a great hunting trip with one of our amazing outfitter partners around the world.
My hunt was absolutely top notch.
The outfitter is a fantastic man and incredibly hard working and knowledgeable, there is no doubt he will do everything within his power to make peoples hunts successful and enjoyable. I plan to do it again with him next year for sure.
Our hunt was excellent.
We saw bucks every day along with all other sorts of wildlife. Mountain goats, bears, and foxes were common sights. Fishing and crabbing was special bonus. The food was excellent, the crew was amazing. Outdoors International did a great job of finding exactly what we were looking for.
What an amazing experience!
The hunting lodge was out of this world!, Rooms, food and the scenery were all A+. Our guide was exceptional and had us on Shiras moose all five days. We saw over 30 total with at least 10 bulls. They had a plan for everything including taxidermy and game processing.