Drop Camp Elk Hunts
Drop camp elk hunts are a less expensive option for the DIY hunter, and offer the simplicity most hunters dream of. They are truly, 100% unguided hunts, and no-one will be there to help you hunt, but you’ll be dropped off in camp within easy range of your elk hunting area. The outfitter will pack you, and your gear into a backcountry camp, and at the end of your hunt, pack you out, along with your elk.
A typical Drop Camp Setup
The camps for these drop camp elk hunts are set up prior to your arrival. Camp consists of two wall tents, cooking and eating utensils, propane cook stove, lanterns, heaters and cots. You provide your personal gear and food. The outfitter will pack you and your gear into and out of camp, and will also pack out your elk.
Hunters need to be prepared to bring (in most cases), and cook their own meals. They’ll also have to cut firewood and do basic camp chores. Lastly, drop camp hunters need to know how to skin, quarter and pack their elk to an area where the outfitter can get the mules. Ideally, a drop camp consists of a group of four hunters. However, in some situations, groups of six are possible.
New Mexico Drop Camp Elk Hunts
Are you looking for an unguided New Mexico elk hunt? If so, one of our outfitters is offering an unguided trip into the New Mexico wilderness!
Their drop camps are in some of the best elk hunting areas in New Mexico! With camps located within easy range of your hunting area, this hunt offers the simplicity most hunters dream of. This allows you to hunt on foot from camp, eliminating the need for horses or long hikes to get into good hunting.
They will pack you and your gear into camp when you first arrive and will also pack you out of camp along with your elk. How often do you get dropped off in prime elk country! No need to go long distances to find animals because you will be right in the heart of you hunting area.
- Archery Season takes place in September and your hunt will go for a period of six days.
- Rifle and Muzzleloader season are from October 1st through December 31st. Your hunt will last for five days (add a day to both ends of your hunt for packing in and out)
- Most hunters have the opportunity to harvest mature bulls.
- This is a wilderness hunt so make sure you get yourself in the proper shape.
- This hunt is unguided, no-one will be there to help you hunt but you will be dropped off in camp.
Idaho Archery Drop Hunts
Our Idaho outfitter offers some solid, backcountry Idaho archery elk drop camp hunts.
Idaho has earned a reputation for being steep and rugged, for good reason, and these hunts should be taken seriously as any mountain hunt. It would be in your best interest to be in elk shape. A drop camp is not easy, but if you’re prepared, this hunt might just be for you.
- In Idaho, you can expect 200-280 inch 5×5’s and 6×6’s, with the occasional 300+ inch bull.
- All hunts are seven days with five full days of hunting and two days for pack in and pack out.
- Idaho has guaranteed archery elk tags (when applied for prior to application deadlines)
- Idaho Hunting Unit 25 (McCall Zone A Elk Tag)
We’d love to help you book a hunt.
Whether you just want to know some prices, or need more information about one of our destinations, OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL is here as a resource, and it won’t cost you a thing.
Just fill out the form below or give us a call at (208) 991-4868 and we’ll get started matching your priorities, budget, timing and expectations to the ideal destination.