David Rees – Unguided Moose Hunt Report
September 16 – October 1, 2018
We decided to take this once in a lifetime hunt with my dad as a present to him as he was finally retiring after working for the same company for 35 years. He had always dreamed of an Alaskan moose hunt and we couldn’t wait. We left our small homes and eventually found our way to Bethel, Alaska for our dream hunt. The weather there was foggy and the weather had been bad for numerous days, leading to multiple groups waiting to get out into the field. This allowed us to spend the night in Bethel and have to delay our hunting by a day.
Once we finally made it out into the field, it was numerous days of rain and wind, with some occasional breaks in the weather. We had numerous yearling bulls come in over the next few days, but no “trophies” that we wanted to take. Eventually after a few more days, we found a trophy, but a river separated the two of us, and we decided to hold off. The weather turned bad again and we had little success. Eventually the outfitter offered us a move, which we gladly took for a change in scenery, and the scenery here was breathtaking.
The next day, our luck quickly changed, with multiple nice bulls being seen we made our move. My dad was able to take a nice bull, just over 47″ wide. The work to get his taken care had now began. After multiple trips that night we decided to get the rest the next day. On our final load on the next day, we saw on the other end of our lake, another amazing bull. After a run through the water, muskeg, and up a hill, we made the shot to kill our second bull in less than 24 hours. After much work and effort, he too was ready for transport. And we couldn’t have finished soon enough. The outfitter was on his way to get us the next morning. And just like that, with our flight home from Alaska, the hunt was over, but the memories keep going on!
- Overall, my trip was a great experience.
- My outfitter’s communication before, during and after the trip was good.
- Physically, the trip was moderate.
- The food and accommodations were not an issue.
My consultant was Russ Meyer.
- My consultant’s communication before, during and after the trip was good.
- My consultant was very knowledgeable, and a pleasure to talk to.
- Would you book another trip with us in the future? Yes
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes
- Can we use this in social media? Yes