Brown Bear Hunt in Alaska
If you want to hunt the biggest bears in the world, go brown bear hunting in Alaska.
Alaska has a thriving population of brown bears. Mature Boone and Crockett boars are taken every year. These behemoths can range from 750 to 1,550 pounds and square over 10 feet!
- We offer great hunts in all of the best brown bear hunting areas including: Kodiak Island; the Alaska Peninsula; Afognak Island and Prince William Sound.
- If you choose a fall hunt, you may be hunting big bears over salmon fishing streams.
- On our spring hunts, you’ll be hunting bears as they come out of their dens. Later in the spring you can hunt during the brown bear rut.
- Check out our baited brown bear hunts. On these hunts, you can combo with up to five black bears!
- We have lots of combo options for moose, caribou, mountain goats, and more.
OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL works with some great outfitters, and we’d love to help you book your brown bear hunt in Alaska.
AK BROWN BEAR HUNTS:
Afognak Island has a high population of Kodiak brown bears.
- This is a lodge hunt.
- You’ll be hunting North Afognak Island, near Kodiak Island.
- Hunt from a comfortable cabin-cruiser, watching the shoreline for a giant boar.
- Our hunters have had a 90% success rate on this Alaska bear hunt on Afognak Island.
- Archery hunters also enjoy high success on this hunt.
- Add a Sitka blacktail to your bear hunt.
- Spring and Fall dates are available.
The Alaska Peninsula rivals, and may even be better than Kodiak Island for HUGE brown bears.
The Alaska Peninsula near Cold Bay, Alaska is one of our premier brown bear hunting areas. It is only hunted on even numbered years during the spring, and is hands down the best location for trophy sized brown bears in Alaska. This region is good, if not better than Kodiak Island for huge coastal brown bears.
Spring Brown Bear Hunts on the Alaska Peninsula
Multiple 10+ footers are taken every spring, in fact one of our recent hunters took a giant brown bear that squared over 11′. In 2016 we had another hunter take a bear that squared 11′ 2″ with a 30.6″ skull.
- May 10-31 (only on even numbered years)
- Most spring brown bears will square over 10′!
- Hunting is from spike camps accessed by a Super Cub with large tundra tires. You will be hunting near the Bering Sea where bears will be searching for carcasses as the bears emerge from their dens.
- Contact us for pricing and available dates.
Fall Brown Bear Hunts on the Alaska Peninsula
If you would prefer to hunt in the fall, and are truly after a 10′ brown bear, you want to consider this hunt. You will be spot-and-stalk or stand hunting primarily in the low country along the salmon fishing streams and rivers which will be full of returning sockeye and silver salmon. The bears will be feeding on the fish to gain weight needed for hibernation.
- October 1-21 (only on odd numbered years)
- The goal on this hunt is a bear over 9′, but they can get up to and over 10’5″ if you get lucky. *each year we take at least one bear from this area that will qualify for SCI and B&C.
- Contact us for pricing and availability.
We Offer a Few Lodge-Based Hunts on the Peninsula in the Fall
If you want to hunt out of a historic Alaska hunting and fishing lodge, and have the opportunity at a ten footer, then you have that option during the fall brown bear hunts. This is a good hunt for hunters with physical limitations, such as wheelchair or mobility issues. These lodge based spots are severely limited, so contact us fast if you’re interested.
Our hunters on Kodiak Island take brown bears that square ten feet nearly every year!
- This region of Kodiak Island very limited hunting pressure. There are only five spring tags and three fall tags.
- Our Kodiak Island brown bear hunts have had a very high success rate over the years.
- Spring hunts are located in the bears’ “hibernation route”.
- Fall hunts are around the salmon streams.
- On typical hunts, you return nightly to a heated cabin with bed, shower and hot meals provided.
- Contact us to book a hunt.
The outfitter ups the odds by taking hunters out during the most productive time of the open season. Harvest rates have been very good as well due to tags being extremely limited, non-residents are required to hunt with a certified guide and the nearest guide operates far from this area.
Good chance to get the “Kodiak Slam” if you hunt in the fall.
Kodiak Island brown bear hunting is by draw only.
- Spring hunt application period is Nov 1 – Dec 15.
- Fall hunt application period is May 1 – May 31.
We can help you get put in for the draw on time.
Cordova Region (Unit 6)
This is an exceptional outfitter in the Cordova region for brown bears in Unit 6.
- Fall Hunts: September through October.
- Spring Hunts: April through June 10th.
- All hunts are archery hunter friendly!
- Rifle hunters will get up close with shots not usually more than 100 yards.
- It is not uncommon for brown bears to get to square an amazing 10+ ft!
- Combo your brown bear hunt in Alaska with mountain goat or a caribou in the fall, or a black bear in the spring.
The brown bears in this area have grown to such amazing sizes as there is plenty of food for them. This hunt is also very remote and is an excellent choice for someone who wants to get away and stalk some of the largest predators in North America. Hunters should be prepared for an exciting hunt in which they will spot and then stalk the bears.
Hunt brown bears along the coast from a live-aboard luxury yacht. Very unique vessel based hunt along the rugged coast out of Valdez, Alaska.
This unique vessel-based brown bear hunt in Alaska takes place along the rugged coast of Prince William Sound out of Valdez, Alaska. You will hunt trophy brown bears along the coast from a live aboard luxury yacht.
Success rates on brown bears for this outfitter have been 100% every year so far.
- Hunting will be done from skiffs and/or the live-aboard vessel and you will stalk once a good boar has been spotted.
- Trophy quality is very good – This area (Unit 6) has been a consistent producer of trophy brown bears squaring 8.5′ – 9.5′, with a fair number of 10’+ bears available.
- Spring hunts are conducted in May, and focus on active bears roaming the beach that have just come out of hibernation.
- Fall hunting is conducted in mid October, and focus on brown bears that are concentrated along active salmon streams.
- Accommodations depend on the island being hunted, the hunt is either vessel based or conducted out of a remote cabin.
- License and tags are over the counter.
Baited Brown Bear Hunts
This is an incredible baited combo hunt for brown bears AND black bears.
The ability to hunt brown bear over bait has recently been allowed Alaska and is turning out to be quite the treat! This outfitter says that the brown bears in many cases have taken over their black bear baits, making the brown bears somewhat of a nuisance… a welcomed nuisance however.
This hunt has a nearly 100% success rate for two bears!
- Hunt black bears AND brown bear hunt in Alaska over bait.
- This hunt includes one of each species. Take and additional two black bears on a trophy fee.
- Success rates for brown bears are almost 100% with most hunters getting opportunities.
- Success for black bear hunting is 100%!
- Brown bears can square up to 9 feet, with skulls that measure 26 inches. However, 7 to 8 foot bears are average.
- Hunts are for 10 days, with the 11th day saved for travel out of the cabin.
- Enjoy fishing for sockeye salmon during the day.
With near 100% for this combo hunt you can get the best of both worlds with black bears in all different color phases, and brown bears with chocolate to almost a white colored fur. The schedule is also what sets this hunt aside. Wake up late as you will be hunting almost until midnight most nights. After you wake up enjoy some sockeye salmon fishing before you hit the stands for the rest of the day.
The past few years, these hunts have become very popular and are filling up quickly. Contact us if you’re interested.
SAFE, VETTED OUTFITTERS
Let's start planning your hunt!
When you’re ready to start planning your hunt, just contact us or fill out the form on this page. Be sure to let us know exactly what you have in mind, and we’ll do our best to help you find the perfect outfitter and get it booked.
Our hunters enjoy great success.
All in all I had a great time. It was a great bear hunting experience with a great outfitter, guide, pilot, and of course many, many thanks to Outdoors International for your time and effort to make this awesome spring brown bear hunt possible.
Within 15 minutes of me pulling the trigger word had got out and there were about 10 Croatian locals arrived at the hunt site to congratulate me and salute the hunt. The evening was filled with toasts and fun with people I had never met all taking part in the celebration. I’ve never seen anything like it, and was amazed at the spirit of the locals. My Eurasian brown bear was taken care of by my guide carefully and I left for my next hunt the next day.
The Outfitter was a wonderful to work with and met all of our needs. They have wonderful guides and I was able to get a beer on the next to the last day of our trip. We were very comfortable and they took very good care of us… And we had great fishing after the brown bear hunt for halibut.