Rod Emerson, DIY Alaska Moose Hunt Report
Sept. 15 – 27th
We had a great adventure! We made it out in the field on scheduled day, and began getting lay of the land on first day. First afternoon we set up and called moose across body of water we landed on. After about 4 to 5 hours of a few sets of calling, a nice bull came out of brush. I was able to shoot him, unfortunately he slid off the bank into the water. Made for a little more of an adventure to break him down but all worked out well. He was a nice 60 inch bull. My brother had opportunities at medium size bulls and a few small bulls but decided to pass. We did not see another big bull so we ended up with the one nice bull. Got to see a muskox also. We had great communication with base the entire moose hunt, and they meat processor they recommended did a great job and had everything ready when we got back to Bethel. We had a great time on the trip.
Only suggestion is to allow groups to organize items to fly into field prior to when it is time to fly out. We arrived 1.5 days early so we would have plenty of time to put things together but were never allowed in the hanger to work on things until it was time to fly out and then we had to hurry as pilot was waiting. I think assigning blocks of time for groups would be helpful.
- Overall, my trip was a great experience.
- My outfitter’s communication before, during and after the trip was good.
- My guide was good.
- Physically, the trip was moderate.
- The food was NA.
- The accommodations were NA.
My consultant was Russ Meyer.
- My consultant’s communication before, during and after the trip was good. We booked this Alaska moose hunt three years in advance. Russ answered any questions we had. may have been good to have him touch base either email or voice a few months prior to hunt but all went well and he got us connected with the right people to be organized.
- My consultant was very knowledgeable, and a pleasure to talk to.
- Would you book another trip with us in the future? Yes
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes
- Can we use this in social media? Yes