Idaho Wolf Hunt
Central Idaho holds A LOT of wolves and our outfitters spend their scouting tracks, talking to local ranchers, howling at night and by the use of trail cameras. But, be warned…To be successful on an Idaho wolf hunt, or a wolf hunt anywhere for that matter is daunting task, but our clients have reasonable success rates every year. Idaho wolf hunting with great success on Idaho wolves. Hunt wolves in the winter range by spot and stalk, predator calling and howling.
Why you should consider an Idaho wolf hunt:
- Central Idaho has a solid population of wolves.
- Hunt the elk and mule deer winter ground, where glassing and spot and stalk is possible.
- We consider any wolf to be a trophy, but there are a lot of big old wolves running around Idaho. The chance at a “good” one is high.
- Idaho has good numbers of black wolves.
Hunting Wolf in Idaho
Our hunters are having relatively good success on our Idaho wolf hunt, which is astounding to say the least. Wolf hunting is hard!
Wolf hunting is one of the toughest kinds of hunts there is. You may not get an opportunity, and if you do, make the most of it. That said, this outfitter is one of the best around at finding wolves for his clients.
- Hunting Season: September through March.
- Opportunity Rates: Wolf hunting is one of the toughest kinds of hunts there is. You may not get an opportunity, and if you do, make the most of it. That said, this outfitter is one of the best around at finding wolves for his clients.
- Success Rates: This is a constantly changing hunt from year to year so success rates are hard to predict. This is a hunt for highly physically fit hunters looking for an adventure. If success is all that is important then this hunt is not for you.
- Trophy Quality: We consider any wolf to be a trophy, but there are a lot of big old wolves running around Idaho. The chance at a “good” one is high. An added bonus for Idaho wolf hunting is the high number of black wolves.
- Accommodations will vary from the outfitters home to traditional wall tent camps, to a light weight mobile horseback camp.
- Contact us to discuss pricing and availability.
Winter Wolf Hunts
When hunting wolves in the winter, you will be howling, predator calling, and glassing wintering elk. There will always be multiple options of where to go each day. You should see a lot of game on these hunts because you will be hunting the wintering grounds for elk and mule deer.
Fall Wolf Hunts
Our wilderness outfitter thinks that early September is is the best time of year as the wolves are responding to calls. You will cover country on horseback and foot howling for wolves. This is a fun hunt with good weather, and you can also experience some world class fly fishing for native cutthroat trout, bull trout, and steelhead. Another great thing about this hunt is that you can also hunt black bears.
This is a special time to take a cast and blast trip to the River of No Return Wilderness. Early September is an excellent time to call wolves in and the weather is typically nice enough to travel and camp comfortably in wolf country. This is a also a two-bear area. Early September finds many of the bears eating the berries along the creek. Typically the best way to harvest a bear is to keep your rifle handy while enjoying the fantastic trout fishing on Big Creek. All other black bear hunting is done spot and stalk or incidental to your other activities, no baiting.
On one of our Idaho wolf hunts, when your not out hunting, the outfitter and his crew can show you trapping techniques on how to catch different critters, like they did back in the days of Mountain Men who roamed these peaks and valleys before the settlers came. Run traps for wolves bobcat, fox, coyotes, marten etc., and you get to keep the hides that you catch with no trophy fees. This is a great option to add to your wolf hunt.
We’d love to help you book a hunt.
Whether you just want to know some prices, or need more information about one of our destinations, OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL is here as a resource, and it won’t cost you a thing.
Just fill out the form below or give us a call at (208) 991-4868 and we’ll get started matching your priorities, budget, timing and expectations to the ideal destination.