Idaho Mule Deer Hunting
Idaho has entered the third most amount of trophy mule deer bucks in the Boone and Crockett record book since 2010.
Idaho has some of the best mule deer genetics anywhere, but for the most part, they manage for large quantities of hunters rather than large quantities of mature bucks. Despite that management plan, they have still managed to enter the third most amount of bucks in the B&C record book since 2010.
Why we think you should consider our Idaho mule deer hunts:
- Lots of good units with OTC tags. *Outfitter allocated tags can guarantee you a great tag in controlled units without drawing.
- Remote backcountry hunts with little hunting pressure.
- Amazing archery hunting opportunities.
- Rut, and migration hunts in some of the wilderness areas.
- Good combo options for elk, black bear, mountain lion and wolves.
Outfitters: IWC1, WMO1
Wilderness Mule Deer Hunt in Idaho
A truly awesome wilderness mule deer hunting experience during the peak of the rut.
This wilderness mule deer hunt takes place in November during the heart of the mule deer rut during the migration out of the high country. You will be amazed at the number of deer you will see each day on this very special hunt. During the course of your hunt you should see a number of bucks that will go over 160″ or so. We’ve never been on this hunt and not seen a HUGE buck or two during the course of a week.
If you’re looking for a traditional, backcountry mule deer hunt, this is the trip for you.
Located in the beautiful wilderness of Idaho’s famous Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Area this is one of our most sought after mule deer hunts for good reason. Since the Frank Church Wilderness is so remote, hunting pressure on the deer in this area is very low. Not only is it remote, it also takes place in November during the rut AND in a migration corridor! The quantity and quality of bucks is amazing! You’ll see 10 to 20 bucks a day on average. Bucks will average between 150-170″, with some exceeding 200″.
Idaho Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Area
Unmatched landscapes, pack in on horseback, camping out, spot-and-stalk hunting during the mule deer rut, experienced guides, outstanding meals and much more. It’s the whole nine yards. There is a very reasonable possibility that you could take the muley buck of your life on this hunt. No fences, no fancy lodges, no travel by SUV or ATV, nor are there any crowds or cell phones. This is a true mountain man experience and the hunt of a lifetime in an area that spans 340+/- square miles. This country is rich in history and free roaming, non-pressured mule deer abound.
This is a classic wilderness mule deer hunt.
- You will fly-in, hunt on horseback, and spot-and-stalk trophy mule deer. Most hunters will fly or drive to Challis, Idaho where they will take a backcountry flight into a private air strip in the wilderness. The Outfitter will pick you up at the strip with horses and a string of mules and pack you into camp. Hunting will be on foot and on horseback.
- Late October through November 18 during the rut.
- Opportunity Rate is 95%
- Success Rate is 85%
- You’ll be hunting for mature 4 point mule deer bucks. Most bucks will score between 150-170″ with some exceeding 200”.
- Seeing 10 to 20 bucks in a single day is not uncommon.
These hunts book out every year.
This is the type of hunt that people dream about. Fly into the wilderness, get picked up with horses and a pack string to ride into camp…the camp is a classic tent-style with a cook, wranglers and guides. Lots of deer, and it’s during the rut. AND THEY’RE MIGRATING TOO! It just doesn’t get any better. If it sounds good to you, contact us soon.
Have questions about one of our hunts?
We’re here to help you book the perfect trip, and our advice doesn’t cost you a thing.