Sturgeon Fishing in Idaho
Sturgeon fishing in Idaho is second to none! Especially in Hells Canyon.
It's not unusual to catch 8 footer when sturgeon fishing in Idaho, but the lucky angler can land one over 10 feet, weighing more than 300 pounds!
Imagine you’re sturgeon fishing in Idaho with your friends, relaxing on the Snake River, enjoying the sights and sounds Hells Canyon has to offer…All of the sudden, the peace is shattered as your real begins to scream! A sturgeon has grabbed your bait and the fight is on! Depending on the size of the fish (they can be OVER TEN FEET LONG), you can probably plan on a battle of close to 45 minutes. Often, the fight is so terrific that the angler is totally worn out by the time the fish is landed. Sturgeon fishing is a very physical experience! Remember your camera, because the picture of your behemoth river monster provides bragging rights, and many stories to be told over and over. Be sure you know how to take good fishing photos.
You should see lots of wildlife while you’re sturgeon fishing in Idaho. Plus, you’ll probably catch a TON of smallmouth bass!
Sturgeon fishing isn’t the only thing you’ll be doing on this trip…the smallmouth bass fishing is beyond terrific as anglers often catch over 100 fish per day. Wildlife is commonly seen along the river as well, and if you are lucky, you can see black bears, mule and whitetail deer, wild turkeys, bighorn sheep, elk, canada geese, bald and golden eagles, ospreys, and many more. This can be just a day trip, but we suggest three days of fishing for the best experience.
Hells Canyon is the deepest gorge in North America.
- When you’re sturgeon fishing in Idaho, it’s not unusual to catch fish up to 8 feet, but some lucky anglers can land one over 10 feet, weighing over 300 pounds. *Sturgeon in Idaho cannot be kept, this is a catch and release fishery only.
- Sturgeon, smallmouth bass, rainbow trout, salmon and steelhead can all be caught, depending on the time of year. Check Idaho Fish and Game Regulations.
- Smallmouth bass are incredibly numerous and persistent anglers can land over 100 per day.
It’s not just about the sturgeon fishing.
- This is a relaxing trip, and makes for an amazing family vacation. Bring the kids sturgeon fishing in Idaho!
- The water is pleasantly warm and some areas are great for swimming such as the famous Sturgeon Rock. Water toys are available for children.
- When your not fighting river monsters, enjoy the scenery, fine wines and cold beer.
- You’ll see tons of wildlife and the scenery is breathtaking.
- All trips up and down the river will be in jet boats.
Our fishing trip was amazing. Homer and his crew were fun, funny, and incredibly knowledgeable. The views and fishing spots in Hells Canyon are unbelievable. Plus lunch was delicious. We had a blast. Can’t wait to go again next year!
If you want an awesome river tour/fishing experience this is where to get it. Captain Homer Brown of Hammer Down (and his crew) makes it happen on the Snake or Salmon Rivers. Also cooks a killer lunch (best ribs I ever had). Highly recommend!!!!!
We had such an amazing time. We were going to go Salmon fishing in Hells Canyon, but the season closed just a couple days prior. We ended up fishing for smallmouth bass, and sturgeon. We brought home tons of bass fillets and caught several sturgeon. The largest sturgeon was just over 7’ long!! Do not hesitate to book a trip with this guide service! No one knows the river better then these guides! We would give them more stars if we could!
Call to Book Your Fishing Trip
We’ll help you choose the best fishing trip for your budget and goals.