Hunter: Dave Duray
Date: August 30 through September 4, 2017
Trip Taken: Idaho Archery Elk Hunt
My hunt story is bittersweet. My hunting guides Adam and Ian put me in position to shoot an outstanding bull and I made an outstanding shot at 13 yards. The thing is…..elk are tough animals with a will to live that can’t be explained. Ultimately, the animal perished somewhere where we could not recover it. It is a tragic loss for a magnificent beast. ……but that is hunting. I experienced it all but the picture of me with my elk.
- How would your rate this hunt? FIVE STARS – My Idaho elk hunt was all I thought it would be and more!
- How likely will you be to refer friends to OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL about this hunt? Very likely
- How was the outfitters pre-hunt communication? Good
- How would you rate the overall trophy quality? Good
- How would you rate the lodging? Good
- How would you rate the food? Good
- How savvy/knowledgeable was your guide? Excellent
- How was the Field Dressing and Trophy Preparation? Good
- Were you successful or unsuccessful? Successful
- Were you happy with the overall experience? I was delighted with the entire Idaho adventure. Everything that was in Adam’s control was excellent and added to the experience. He was very honest about the quality of animals and the chances of success. He emphasized conditioning for mountain hunting and how it will improve chances without making any guarantees. His guides and the people working with him in camp were a joy to be around.
- How physically difficult was the hunt? Extremely Difficult
- Is there anything that the outfitter should do differently in your opinion? Although I rated this hunt as extremely difficult, that is relative. The harder you work the greater your opportunity. Given that, if you can sit on a horse, you will see animals. The client’s expectations must be realistic. Backcountry hunting is totally different from lodge hunting. I personally think that Adam’s camp set up and ambiance was outstanding for being nine miles from the trailhead.
- How likely would you be to refer Outdoors International booking services to your friends and family? Very Likely
- How were your conversations with your agent? Excellent
- How was your agent’s pre-hunt correspondence? Excellent
- How was your agent’s post-hunt follow up? Excellent
- How savvy/knowledgeable was your agent? Excellent
- How would you rate your agent? FIVE STARS – My agent was amazing