Caleb Miller, Greenland Muskox Hunt Report
September 17-21, 2018
People, camp, food, and gear were what we were expecting. Weather was absolutely perfect. Was rather disappointed in the number of animals seen. In the +/- 4 days we only saw about 12 muskox. Based on conversation with the outfitter the August hunts are more productive with more animals.
We were able to get my father on a bull, and the resulting pack-out was one of the most difficult I’ve ever done – we were about 6-8 miles back over a couple mountain ranges. I’ve hunted sheep for more than 20 years and this was a hunt you want to prepare for. The hunting itself wasn’t awful, but they want to do a full pack-out in one run and that results in everyone having 100+ lb packs over some crummy country. Only one of us tagged, so be fully aware that it’s a fully fair chase hunt with no assurances.
Overall, my trip was good. Ask about number of animals you’ll see based on your hunt dates – if you want to see volume on a warm weather hunt I couldn’t recommend a September hunt.
- My outfitter’s communication before, during and after the trip was good.
- My guide was good.
- Physically, the trip was extreme.
- The food and accommodations were good.
My consultant was Mat Cervantes
- My consultant’s communication before, during and after the trip was good.
- Would you book another trip with us in the future? Yes
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes
- Can we use this in social media? Yes