Chamois Hunting in New Zealand
New Zealand Chamois Hunt on the South Island
- Hunting season is February through July, but the best chamois hunting is during the rut in May and June.
- For summer skins the best hunting is Mid January through March.
- High Trophy Quality. The focus is on mature Chamois buck.
- High Success rate. Rifle hunts run 100% opportunity.
- You can make your chamois hunt a combo by adding a Tahr to your hunt.
- A good level of fitness and ability is necessary to enjoy New Zealand chamois hunting.
- This is a wilderness hunt based form a tent camp. Sometimes, depending on weather and fitness levels you will spike camp.
Wilderness chamois hunting tin New Zealand akes place on public land in the most spectacular and remote parts of the Eastern and Western sides of the Southern Alps, this is a real New Zealand mountain hunting experience. No roads, no civilization, just mountains, rivers and fresh air. Tahr and chamois can be found in good to moderate numbers depending on the area and can often be found in close proximity to each other. Red deer and other species are best hunted on private land.
Access the Wilderness area in a helicopter.
When you go chamois hunting in New Zealand, you’ll fly through some of the most pristine and beautiful scenery in the world. The helicopter will land at a basic campsite where tents are used as accommodation. You will hunt the surrounding area on foot. Helicopter time is included in the price of the hunt.
New Zealand Chamois live in the mountains, so you should be in shape.
A good level of fitness is needed on a wilderness hunt as the terrain is usually steep and broken. This is the most challenging and therefore most rewarding form of hunting in New Zealand. This is comparable to sheep or goat hunts of North America and Asia. The terrain and weather can makes chamois hunting in New Zealand a challenge, but the respect for the terrain and animals that inhabit it, is truly earned and the trophy means that much more.
Chamois are a unique mountain species and are always exciting to hunt. They are very fast and agile and live in challenging terrain. During the rut bucks defend their territories by chasing other bucks through true mountain terrain. Hunting Chamois during the rut is always very entertaining, and an amazing experience.
Other chamois hunting options:
- They also offer full backpack style hunts which are priced on an individual basis depending on the species and time of year.
- There is also exclusive access to a small private area for Chamois hunting, this is great hunt for older/less fit hunters. It has nice accommodation and the option of adding on Red Stag.