New Zealand Tahr and Chamois Hunting
- This is a wilderness hunt based form a tent camp. Sometimes, depending on weather and fitness levels you will spike camp.
- You can make it a tahr/chamois combo (and most hunters do).
- The best tahr and chamois hunting in New Zealand is during the rut in May through June. If you’d like a chamois with a summer skin, you should hunt mid-January through March.
- You’ll focus on finding a mature bull in the 8-10 year age class. The bull tahr have big capes and horns in the 11-14″ class.
- The helicopter will land at a basic campsite where tents are used as accommodation. You’ll then day hunt the surrounding area on foot with your guide.
- Tahr and chamois can be found in good to moderate numbers depending on the area and can often be found in close proximity to each other. Red deer and other species are best hunted on private land.
LET'S START PLANNING YOUR NEXT TRIP
Be specific so we can find exactly what you're looking for.
Wilderness New Zealand tahr and chamois hunting on public land in the most spectacular and remote parts of the Eastern and Western sides of the Southern Alps. This is a real New Zealand mountain hunting experience. No roads, no civilization, just mountains, rivers and fresh air. Tahr and chamois can be found in good to moderate numbers depending on the area and can often be found in close proximity to each other.
You’ll access camp with a short but scenic helicopter trip. Flying through some of the most pristine and beautiful scenery in the world.
This is the most challenging and therefore most rewarding form of hunting in New Zealand. This is comparable to sheep or mountain goat hunts of North America and Asia. The terrain and weather can make these hunts a challenge. However, you’ll leave with a new respect for the terrain and animals that inhabit it. Your animals are truly earned, and the trophies will means that much more.
This outfitter also offers full backpack style tahr and chamois hunts.
The backpack hunts are priced on an individual basis depending on the species and time of year.
For pricing or more information about New Zealand tahr and chamois hunting, contact us.
Ask About Hunt #OI-HYH1