If you’re a backcountry DIY hunter, you’re going to want to quickly break an animal down into manageable pieces and get it cooled down. The best way to do that is called the gutless method.
- It’s fast, and also keeps your meat cleaner.
- Be sure to check regulations to make sure it’s legal in your unit.
- When it comes to the skin, you have two different options: You can leave the skin on the quarters, which is the cleanest route, but if you’re needing to pack it out, you’ll need to eliminate as much weight as possible.
Gutless Field Dressing Method
Now simply flip the skin back down over the carcass, roll your animal over and repeat the process on the other side.
That’s all there is to the gutless method of field dressing. Easy right?
- Don’t forget to get the rib meat, brisket and neck meat. Waste as little as possible.
- If you’re packing your animal out on your back you’ll usually need to “bone” the meat to save weight.
- With a little practice you can bone a hindquarter in less than a minute.
- The front shoulder takes a little more work. Just remove the muscle groups from the scapula and bone out the lower legs and throw in the trimming pile.
- Boning is also the quickest way to get the body heat out of the meat.
Gutless Method How-to Video
Obviously, there is more than one way to “skin a cat” but this is a quick, clean, and efficient method for getting your animal cooled down and into your freezer in the best possible condition. By the way, you should also check out these backcountry hunting tips.
Photos by BowhunterAsk Us About a Hunt Request pricing and availability
Discover why thousands of people have trusted Outdoors International to help plan their hunt.
Outdoors International has a team of hand-selected hunting experts to help you book your next hunt. Our job it is to help you in researching, booking and planning a great hunting trip with one of our amazing outfitter partners around the world.
My hunt was absolutely top notch.
The outfitter is a fantastic man and incredibly hard working and knowledgeable, there is no doubt he will do everything within his power to make peoples hunts successful and enjoyable. I plan to do it again with him next year for sure.
Our hunt was excellent.
We saw bucks every day along with all other sorts of wildlife. Mountain goats, bears, and foxes were common sights. Fishing and crabbing was special bonus. The food was excellent, the crew was amazing. Outdoors International did a great job of finding exactly what we were looking for.
What an amazing experience!
The hunting lodge was out of this world!, Rooms, food and the scenery were all A+. Our guide was exceptional and had us on Shiras moose all five days. We saw over 30 total with at least 10 bulls. They had a plan for everything including taxidermy and game processing.