Steve Speck is the owner of S and S Archery as well as the inventor of Solid Broadheads and Exo Mountain Gear packs. Steve is a brilliant backcountry hunting guru who’s ideas on weight saving on a backcountry hunt take DIY hunting to the next level. Listen in to hear the important how-to’s of backcountry nutrition, pack designs, weight saving strategies, hunting methodologies, tent designs, sleeping bags and dual purpose gear.
Steve Speck’s Backpacking Light Gear List
“This is 99% of my hunting backpacking gear list. I like to stay light, taking nothing extra! The only thing that can vary slightly is maybe an extra base layer / long johns in very cold temps or if elk hunting I’ll have bugle tube, mouths reeds, etc with me.”
Main Gear for a Backpack Hunt
- Pack: Exo Mountain Gear 3500 – 77oz
- Tent: Hilleberg Enan – 35oz
- Sleeping pad: Thermarest Neo Air – 12oz
- Sleeping Bag: Hammock Gear 30 Degree Quilt – 14oz
- Stove: Jetboil SOL Ti – 9oz
- Fuel Canister – 5oz
- Utensil: Jetboil Fork – .5oz
- Water Filter: Sawyer Squeeze and Platypus 2l – 4oz
- Headlamp: Princeton Tec Remix – 2.9oz
- Camera: Sony RX100 III – 8oz
- Extra Sony Batteries: – 1oz
- Extra SD Cards
TOTAL: 168.4oz 10.52lbs
Gear that Steve ALWAYS Has with Him
- Shoes: Salomon XA Pro 3d
- Sock: First Lite Compression
- Shirt: First Lite Llano QZ
- Boxers: First Lite Red Desert
- Pants: Prana Stretch Zion
- Binoculars: Swarovski 10×42 SLC
- Rangefinder: Leupold RX1000
- Wind Checker
- Suunto Watch
Clothes in My Pack
- Socks: First Lite Cold Weather (1) extra pair – 2oz
- Mid Layer: First Lite Chama Hoody – 10oz
- Insulation layer: First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy – 19oz
- Beanie: First Lite – 1.5oz
- Gloves: First Lite Merino Wool – 1oz
“I don’t really use raingear because it seldom rains where I hunt, and when it does I hole up and wait it out. I do have the First Lite Boundary Stormtight jacket that I’ll use once in a blue moon but that’s pretty much it.”
TOTAL: 33.5oz 2.09lbs
First Aid / Personal Gear
- Baby Wipes
- Spare Iodine tablets
- Waterproof matches
- Fire Tender: Vaseline Cotton balls
- Tylenol PM
- Gorilla Tape
- (4) AAA Spare batteries
- Game Bags: Exo Mountain Gear
- Knife: Kestrel Ultralite S30v
- Parachute Cord: 25’ Ultralight Dyneema Cord
- Zip Ties
- Spotting Scope: Varies (Vortex Razor 50 / Swaro ATX 65)
- Bino Tripod adapter: Field Optics Research – 1oz
- Tripod: Promaster XC525c and Vanguard PH-111v – 46oz
- Extra QR Plate – .5oz
TOTAL: 47.5oz / 2.9lbs
TOTAL BASE WEIGHT: 262.1 oz / 16.38lbs
Consists of: Cliff Builder’s Bars, Costco Trail Mix, Mountain House meals, Belvita Crackers, Almond butter packets, Misc Granola Bars, GU Energy Chomps and Starbucks VIA packets! The only thing that varies my base weight is the amount of food, which is on the high end 1.5lbs per day, and the amount of water.
1.5lbs per day on the high end. Roughly 3,500 calories per dayAsk Us About a Hunt Request pricing and availability
Discover why thousands of people have trusted Outdoors International to help plan their hunt.
Outdoors International has a team of hand-selected hunting experts to help you book your next hunt. Our job it is to help you in researching, booking and planning a great hunting trip with one of our amazing outfitter partners around the world.
My hunt was absolutely top notch.
The outfitter is a fantastic man and incredibly hard working and knowledgeable, there is no doubt he will do everything within his power to make peoples hunts successful and enjoyable. I plan to do it again with him next year for sure.
Our hunt was excellent.
We saw bucks every day along with all other sorts of wildlife. Mountain goats, bears, and foxes were common sights. Fishing and crabbing was special bonus. The food was excellent, the crew was amazing. Outdoors International did a great job of finding exactly what we were looking for.
What an amazing experience!
The hunting lodge was out of this world!, Rooms, food and the scenery were all A+. Our guide was exceptional and had us on Shiras moose all five days. We saw over 30 total with at least 10 bulls. They had a plan for everything including taxidermy and game processing.