Free Range Red Stag Hunting New Zealand
Our free range red stag hunting in New Zealand take place on private, low fence properties throughout the South Island. These properties range in size from 10,000 to 60,000 acres, and are generally in open hill country, with some more mountainous areas. The main hunting area is 20,000 acres and around four hours drive from Christchurch city. This property also has good numbers of tahr, and some fallow deer, and they can easily be added onto your stag hunt.
- Hunting Season is March-June. Prime ‘Roar’/Rut takes place between late March through to mid April.
- This is true free range stag hunting, These stags are born and bred in the wild.
- Trophy quality ranges from 8-16 points (4×4 to 8×8). Stags average mid-high 200″ class.
- High Success rate with a 100% opportunity on rifle hunts.
- Can easily be combined with Tahr and Fallow deer.
- A good to moderate level of fitness is helpful on this hunt.
- All of the hunting areas have good 4×4 road access, and hunting is spot and stalk style.
LET'S START PLANNING YOUR NEXT TRIP
Be specific so we can find exactly what you're looking for.
You’ll be hunting proper free range wild deer. This is not a high fence hunt, nor are these released deer.
You will leave the camp every day in the vehicle and locate and stalk stags on foot. Hunts are generally 5 days, but can be extended for those wishing to hunt multiple specie, combo hunts. Best dates are from 20th March through to Around 20th April. The peak of the rut is normally the first two weeks of April.
Lodging and Accommodations
We have a number of small cabins and huts we hunt from. Most have power,showers and bunk beds for our hunters.
Some are more basic. Please let us know if you any special accommodation requirements.
Typical meals would be:
- Breakfast- cooked breakfast of bacon and eggs
- Lunch- Salami/cheese sandwiches, and snacks
- Dinner- Meat, potatoes, veggies etc. or a pasta type meal.We also have snack bars, fruit and nut mixes and electrolyte drinks for during the day,
If you have any special meal requirements/allergies make sure you talk to us about this when you book your hunt
Guiding is either 1×1 or 2×1, groups larger than 2 can be accommodated.
The guide will be with the hunter the whole time, and help select animal and ensure client is safe throughout the hunt. Camp set up and meals will be done by the guide, but we welcome hunters to help out if they can.
In New Zealand there are no laws around meat harvest, but we do our best to harvest what we can from every animal. It is great if hunters can help the guides during this process. Meat is used by guides/camps and donated to families. *Clients can take meat home with them BUT it is their responsibility to organize this.
Typical Daily Schedule
- Day 1: Pick up and Travel. We pick up hunters from Christchurch (CHCH), either the airport or a motel/hotel and travel around 4 hours to the hunt area. Early morning pick ups are preferred so we can get the hunting area by lunch time. We then shoot rifles and check gear and go for an evening hunt.
- Days 2-4: Hunting, we use 4 wheel drives to cover the hunting area and climb ridges to look over as many stags as we can.
- Day 5: Pack up camp and head back to Christchurch and visit the Taxidermist on the way to arrange mounting/shipping of animals.
Fallow Deer, Red Stag, Tahr