Charles Bartlett, Colorado Public Land Rifle Elk Hunt Report
Colorado Public Land Rifle Elk Hunt
October 22-26, 2019
My friend Dave and I booked through Outdoors International for a guided elk hunt after our state draws proved unsuccessful. Kyle Hanson set us up with an outfitter hunting elk on Colorado public land. Immediately driving into hunting camp, I could tell that these outfitters were professionals; the entire camp was set up, the area was scouted, and the ATV was ready for the hunt. We met our guides: Kevin, Marc, and the camp dog Dottie as we began our hunt that evening.
In the course of three days; I shot a 6×6 herd bull and my buddy shot a 5×5 satellite bull. We got both the bulls off the mountain with the help of a well-trained pack-string of horses and an ATV. We stayed around camp for an extra day to share some laughs and visit some hot springs to relax. This was my first elk hunt and not only did I shoot a mature bull; my friend punched his tag, we got to enjoy some incredible scenery, and we turned guides into friends.
- Overall, my trip was amazing, I couldn’t have asked for more. Kevin and Marc were great guides that knew, not only how to find the elk but, how to make a hunter feel at home in the mountains. They are professional guides that make sure every detail of the hunt is planned for the best experience.
- My outfitter’s communication before, during and after the trip was good.
- My guide was amazing.
- Physically, the trip was moderate.
- The food was good.
- The accommodations were good.
My consultant was Kyle Hanson.
- My consultant’s communication before, during and after the trip was perfect, I couldn’t have asked for more. Kyle did a phenomenal job of finding us a hunting outfitter that knew the area, knew how to track the elk, and knew how to make guys feel at home. Kyle kept tabs on us for a few months leading up to the hunt to make sure we were ready. What I respected, was that he made sure to question if we were in good enough shape for the hunt, as this was a physically-demanding hunt. As this was fairly last minute, Kyle did a great job of finding us a desirable hunt in a great public land area. Kyle did his job very well with our hunt.
- My consultant was very knowledgeable, and a pleasure to talk to.
- Would you book another trip with us in the future? Yes
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes
- Can we use this in social media? Yes