Alaska Unguided Moose Hunt
Unguided Moose Hunts in Alaska
- The most attractive thing about an unguided hunt is that it’s cheaper than a fully guided moose hunt.
- Most of our Alaska moose tags are are over-the-counter.
- Hunting season is the month of September.
- Unguided OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL clients regularly take 55 to 65 inch bulls!
- Our hunters have enjoyed a 75% success rate, and their opportunity rate is 90 to 100%. Success is slightly higher on the fully guided hunts.
- These areas are very conducive to calling and we recommend that you learn to call before you go on your hunt.
- Black bear, wolf and wolverines are always a possibility, so be sure to get your tags.
- Packing out a moose is very physically demanding and is not for the weak or physically disabled. Most of the areas are 30% – 50% black spruce with meadows and tundra ponds. Walking on the tundra is far more difficult than walking on flat firm ground. Be prepared!
- Only US citizens are eligible for unguided moose hunts in Alaska.
Are you up to the challenge?
Our areas are home to some exceptional bulls and our unguided moose hunters have enjoyed tremendous success on this hunt over the years.
We’d love to help you book this hunt. Get in touch.
OUR UNGUIDED MOOSE HUNTS:
The Best Unguided Moose Hunt in Alaska
OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL clients enjoy tremendous success on this unguided moose hunt year after year.
This unguided, DIY hunt for moose not only has a great price point, it’s also a great experience. It can be physically demanding and we recommend you allow yourself 10 full days of hunting to help insure you have an enough time to harvest a quality bull.
Moose densities in this area are considered so high by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, that they are concerned with overpopulation and are allowing hunters to take ANY BULL the entire month of September!
75% success rates on trophy bulls in the 50 to 65 inch range!
The genetics in the area are excellent and so is the food source which makes for a healthy growing moose population. Any bull can be taken in this area of Alaska, however the average moose in his prime will be upper 50″ – mid 60″ range Success rates on the unguided Alaska moose hunts are around 75% with an opportunity rate of 90%-100% depending on the year. These numbers are amazing considering this is a DIY moose hunt.
The hunters who are successful get up before light, eat breakfast, and hunt hard all day. They eat lunch in the field, and return to camp after dark to eat diner. The day should consist of glassing and calling, while paying close attention to the wind direction.
Save HUGE when compared to fully guided moose hunts.
If you have been looking for an affordable way to hunt huge Alaska moose, look no further. Success rates and trophy quality are both excellent on this DIY moose hunt in Alaska.
Our hunters continue to have incredible success on trophy bulls year after year. Nearly the same success as our fully guided hunts.
The only problem is availability. These hunts book fast! Contact us for pricing and available dates if you’re seriously considering this hunt.
Rent a camp from the outfitter or bring your own gear.
Since this is a fly-in DIY moose hunt, you can either provide all of the gear and food (most hunters ship it up ahead of time), or the outfitter will rent you the equipment you need and sell you the food you will take.
If you’re in decent shape, you should really consider this DIY moose hunt.
You can’t beat the price on these unguided Alaska moose hunts! Physical condition is the key…be in good shape.
DIY Float Hunts
Our outfitter/transporter in the McGrath area of Western Alaska has some great custom unguided float hunts.
On these hunts you’ll be dropped off in a remote camp along a river with a boat and motor. You’ll be responsible for setting up your camp. Once a bull is down you call the outfitter and a plane is sent to retrieve your meat once it’s been broken down and ready to leave the field.
- This area holds a high population of moose with good trophy quality.
- Hunt includes logistical assistance considering travel/license/tags/post hunt.
- Hunt from pre-established campsites along a river system, with boat, motor and fuel provided.
- Hunters can take black bear, wolverine and wolf at no extra charge with appropriate tags.
- The outfitter will work to get you out of the field as soon as possible as weather and scheduling allows.
- Once back in McGrath there is logistical assistance to arrange butchering, expediting and transport of gear and trophies.
Space is extremely limited!
Alaska Units 16A and 16B
This is a totally unguided moose hunt where you will be flown to and from a remote lake away from the road system.
You will need to provide your own camp. There is a two person minimum, and each person can take 325 pounds (that’s body weight plus gear) per aircraft load. If additional loads are needed, it can be accommodated that for an additional fee.
Bulls on this hunt average high 50’s to 65 inches. To be legal a moose must be larger than 50” or have at least three brow tines on one side. Success rates on this unguided moose hunt have traditionally been around 70%.
If you are interested in harvesting a black bear, Unit 16 has a high concentration. If you happen to kill a bear on your hunt and they can fit it on the plane with the moose, there is no additional fee. That’s a pretty sweet deal! We also suggest you get a wolf tag.
SAFE, VETTED OUTFITTERS
Let's start planning your hunt!
When you’re ready to start planning your hunt, just contact us or fill out the form on this page. Be sure to let us know exactly what you have in mind, and we’ll do our best to help you find the perfect outfitter and get it booked.
Our hunters enjoy great success.
This is the only place I’ve ever hunted where it’s possible to see trophy black bear, moose, whitetail, mule deer and elk all in the same field. Amazing!
The outfitters were straight up honest hunting guys. They all tried very hard and the hunt was perfect. Our cabin was clean and warm, the food was excellent and we always seem to have a pot of good coffee brewing,. We even had a hot water shower every night. I shot an awesome bear on day five and a supper moose on day 7. If I were ever going moose hunting again, I go with this outfitter.
If you’re looking for a great moose hunt, get ahold of Outdoors International. I’ve never been more appreciative of a company and the knowledge they share to put together this hunt for my dad and I. Thanks for everything!