British Columbia Black Bear Hunting
British Columbia Black Bear Hunting
An extremely healthy population of bears, and makes it a great choice for your hunt.
Coastal British Columbia arguably has the largest population of black bears per square mile in North America. The mild climate provides the bears with a very long feeding season starting early in the spring and ending late in the fall on the salmon spawning rivers. With abundant food and low hunting pressure, it’s easy to see why coastal bears grow to such a large size.
Why you should consider black bear hunting in BC:
- Spring and Fall seasons.
- Lots of bears.
- Big bears with thick coats. The average bear taken with our outfitters square over 6 feet, although multiple bears squaring 7 ft plus are taken with a high percentage of skulls making the record book.
- Remote backcountry with little hunting pressure.
- Amazing archery hunting opportunities.
- Good combo options.
- Midnight black is the most common color, and the coat quality of these bears is unbeatable. If you want both giant trophy black bears and an exceptional overall experience, this is the spot for you!
Vancouver Island Black Bear Hunting in British Columbia
BC, coastal bear hunting on Vancouver Island, famous for giant boars.
Vancouver Island is famous for big boars!
This is a coastal black bear hunt on Vancouver Island in BC. This vast area is virtually untouched and has high populations of bears….and big bears at that. In fact, this area is famous for its world-class black bears.
This outfitter has a history of taking some of the largest coastal black bears in the world on Vancouver Island, an area famous for huge bears and near perfect coat quality. Experience the ultimate North American adventure, spot-and-stalk coastal black bear hunting while enjoying some of the world’s most beautiful scenery in your down time. Record book Roosevelt elk and big northern mountain lion can also be taken with this outfitter, so if either of those animals are on your list, let us know.
- Guaranteed non-resident black bear tag
- Spring Black Bear Hunt: April 1-June 15
- Fall Black Bear Hunt: September 10-November 13
- The success rate is nearly perfect at 90-100% annually.
- The average bear taken with this outfitter squares over 6 feet, although multiple bears squaring 7 ft plus are taken with a high percentage of skulls making Boone and Crockett.
- Spot and stalk.
- They also offer trophy hunts for blacktail deer, Roosevelt elk, and giant mountain lions.
- Hunt: VICBA1
Black Bear Combo Hunt
This is a great hunt, that you can combo with a moose.
We have been working with this outfitter for years and not only do your hosts have years of experience guiding British Columbia black bear hunting, they offer a level of service and hospitality that will provide one of the best hunting experiences you can have. In a typical day you should see between 2 to 10 bears driving to glassing points of new growth areas and grassy hillsides.
- In addition to a bear, this outfitter has agreed to throw in a wolf for Outdoors International clients.
- Spring bear hunt begins in mid-May and runs through the beginning of June when the temperature is between the mid 60’s and mid 70’s.
- The fall hunt runs from mid-September to the end of October when the mornings will be frosty; when the weather gets cold the bears are gone. The fall hunt can be a moose combo hunt.
- Spot and Stalk. Hunting areas will be accessed on foot, by 4×4, boats, and/or with horses.
- This area does have some color-phase black bears.
- Ranging from 5 to 7 1/2 feet with some weighing as much as 500 lbs. The success rate for this hunt is almost 100% to date.
- Over the counter black bear tags.
- Hunt: BLGO1
Spot-and-Stalk Archery Hunt
This outfitter offers an amazing spot-and-stalk hunt, and specializes in taking archery hunters.
We have about 15% color phase, and the Pope and Young minimum of 18 inches being common. So not only do we have high bear density’s, but have record book quality in the gene pool. 6-7 ft boars are common, with 95% of our bears taken in 2018 being mature boars. With the strong salmon run in the fall, and high density of black bears, new boars quickly move in to replace those that were shot by our hunters.
This is a spring bear hunt.
In the spring the black bears come out of hibernation and head to the nearest green area to gorge themselves on grass, dandelions, and new growth crops. Thus they are found along old logging roads, clear cuts, fields, and railways. We will be focusing our efforts in these areas in the spring.
Come later in the spring season (end of May, beginning of June) the boars start to wander looking for sows in heat. At this time we’ll be sticking to glassing long stretches of logging roads and glassing on the railways. This is the time that the real big bears show up, and thus the biggest bears of the season are shot during this time.
You can expect multiple opportunities on this hunt.
It is not uncommon to see up to 15 black bears per day, with multiple stalks being the rule rather than the exception. Be prepared for a relaxing and enjoyable hunt. We do not get up at the crack of dawn as the big bears are primarily moving in the afternoon and evenings but at that point be ready for multiple stalks and large numbers of bears.
- May 1 through June 15
- The hunting area is accessed by vehicle, atv’s, and hiking however all stalks are done on foot.
- Bow hunter friendly outfitter, but rifle hunting is most common
- 15% color phase bears.
- Opportunity Rate is 100%
- Success Rate for archery is 80%. Success Rate for rifle is 100%
- Hunt: PO1
I couldn’t believe in less than seven days I had harvested a dall sheep and a grizzly bear, it was a trip of a life time! I cant say enough about how impressed I was with this Outfitter. From the knowledge of the outdoors to how my made my time in camp with him very memorable.
Russ my miracle worker put together the ultimate grizzly bear hunt for me. The guide I had, Rick took it from there, and helped me fulfill a lifelong dream. Russ and Rick tag teamed this so perfect, I couldn’t think of a better hunt ever!
Incredible trip! Lots of opportunity for big bears. Outfitter was very encouraging of bowhunters.
We had a wonderful trip beginning with the guide picking us up at the Powell River airport. We made a short trip to the dock and took the boat to the base camp about 45 minutes across the inlets. The first day was very eventful with sighting two black bears and stalking both. The first was a good bear but “not large enough for the first day”.
As we began to leave Johnny spotted a very large bear on the beach about a mile away. After two stalks we were within 31 yards and I took my shot. Although not perfect the hit was good enough allow us to get another arrow in to the bear. It was 7:30 in the evening and we skinned and loaded the bear in the boat and back to camp late that evening. The cook had a great meal waiting for us and the entire camp wanted to hear the story. The rest of the week was spent sightseeing British Columbia, fishing, crabbing and picking up oysters for dinner.
By the way, My wife loved the trip and would recommend it to any lady who wants to see what their husband does on these hunts.
I would highly recommend this hunt to anyone who wants a relatively easy black bear hunt. The guides run lots of baits and their are lots of bears around. Not to mention I must have seen 200 elk and close to that number of deer. A great experience!
Overall the trip was great. Bear hunting was great, and a little fishing as a bonus. Harvested a nice bear. Accommodations were sufficient. Food was good. Guides were fantastic. It was trip of lifetime.
I don’t think I have ever laughed as hard as I did that week. They are down-to-earth people and an absolute blast to be around! I would recommend this FAIR CHASE hunt to anybody! The bear hunting was excellent. We saw double figures in bears each day we were hunting, with several opportunities on stalks each day.
This is an archery hunters dream to go on this hunt. I shot THREE bears in one night. One brown and two black bears. I then shot a third black bear on the last night.
Hunting bears with this outfitter was a wonderful experience. This hunt is great value for the money! My guide, Lyle was an extremely knowledgeable hunter and great all-around guy.
I wanted you all to know what an extraordinary trip I felt it was! Thank you all for everything! It was awesome and couldn’t have been better! I wanted you all to know what an extraordinary trip I felt it was! Thank you all for everything! It was awesome and couldn’t have been better!