ANGLER: Nathan Hadfield
FISHING TRIP: Belize Fly Fishing Resort
CONSULTANT: Patrick Kissel with Outdoors International
Amazing Fly Fishing Resort in Belize
I stayed at the lodge this past December, and felt like I was home. Upon first arrival, a taxi service picked us up from the airport and shuttled us over to an awaiting shuttle boat. The staff was great and handed us our first complimentary beverages as we water taxied to the resort. We were greeted by the awaiting staff at the dock and assisted us with our luggage. They checked us in and gave us a quick tour of the facility.
Orvis International Lodge of the Year
Immediately upon arrival, I understood why Orvis endorsed this lodge as the 2017 International Lodge of the Year.
- Their main lodge offers 14 guest rooms offering 2 queen beds or 1 king bed, plus a small sitting area with air conditioning.
- All rooms are beachfront and are located near 1 of the 3 pools.
- There is also the option to rent the Villas which can accommodate larger groups.
- Inside their store are dozens of loaner Orvis H3 rod/reel to utilize on a first come basis.
- Parked at the dock were 10 skiff’s waiting to take the next group of fishermen out.
After getting all checked in, the General Manager, Rob Woodruff explained about the lodge. Where we would be fishing, and what to expect for the coming days.
Did I mention this is an all inclusive?!
- Three meals a day, hors d’oeuvres, local soda’s, beer, and rum.
- Complimentary use of their sea kayaks for DIY fly fishing.
- Bicycles, casting lessons, wifi, pools, pool table, and shuffleboard.
- Golf carts are the primary use of transportation and available onsite for a daily/weekly charge.
- This resort offers a special for 2 for 1 rate from June 15th to December 14th.
Incredible Flats Fishing
Bonefish, tarpon, snook, and permit were all present every day and I had dozens and dozens of shots at them each day. We didn’t have to travel far to get them, about a 10 minute boat ride first thing in the morning. Other fish like snapper, jacks, barracuda were other species were caught while I was there.
*The lodge specializes in fly fishing, but light tackle and reef fishing are available, with the guides and boats on hand to make it happen.
This Belize fly fishing trip is one of the best destinations for your first or advanced saltwater flats fishing trip.
- The local guides are experienced instructors and there are plenty of fish.
- The resort has a fishing director on staff to help you get the hang of casting 8-weight through 12-weight rods.
- If you forgot a fly or lost your favorite, the lodge has a wide assortment of flies to purchase on site.
- What really intrigued me, was this was one of the best destinations in the Caribbean to have an opportunity to catch a grand slam or a super grand slam; catching a bonefish, permit, tarpon, and a snook in the same day.
More Than “Just a Fly Fishing Lodge”
There are many other activities offered, from snorkeling in the warm waters of a marine preserve, to visiting Mayan ruins, to kayaking among the protected mangrove lined lagoons, to scuba diving. There is no friendlier, better-organized, or more welcoming lodge anywhere in Belize and the staff goes out of its way to treat you as a valued guest. This is a great destination to travel to if you looking to bring your significant other, or just want to bring your fishing buddy.
How would you rate your trip overall?
Simply amazing. We already re-booked.
How was your guide?
Some of the best fishing guides I’ve ever had.
How was your lodging?
How was the food?
How was your outfitters communication?
How physically demanding was your trip?
How would you rate your Outdoors International Consultant?
Patrick is a great guy and friend. We met on a fishing trip in Alaska.
Would you book another trip with OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL in the future?
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes.
- Can we use this in social media? Yes.
We Will Be Back
I am going back again this year with my wife and hoping to get into some Tarpon! They begin to migrate late summer and can be great in September and October. These tarpon are much larger than the resident tarpon available all year. Please let me know if you have any questions about this trip, as I highly recommend it!Ask Us About a Fishing Trip Request pricing and availability
Discover why thousands of people have trusted Outdoors International to help plan their trips.Outdoors International has a team of hand-selected fishing experts to help you book your next trip. Our job it is to help you in researching, booking and planning a great trip with one of our amazing outfitter partners around the world.
I expected big trout on this trip based on all the stories I've read over the years, and I was not disappointed! I broke my own personal best rainbow trout record at least SIX times on this trip, with the biggest being a 16 pound beauty.
I will be going again soon!