Hunter: Kevin Schmitcke
Date: December, 2021
Hunt Taken: West Texas Aoudad Hunt
Consultant: Russ Meyer | Outdoors International
I flew into El Paso, Texas with my wife on Sunday afternoon. I was able to get her settled in the hotel as my guide and outfitter was going to pick me early the next morning. He picked me up the following morning, we made sure that the rifle was sighted in and off to hunting we went.
It was a fairly slow morning as the wind had been howling the past couple of days before and the sheep were “holed-up”.
About 3-4 hours into the hunt we spotted a large group of sheep on the hillside. We left the vehicle and snuck into some brush. We glassed the herd of Aoudad, and saw one that looked like a shooter. He really looked him over as it was the first day of the hunt and we didn’t want to “settle” for one. After watching him for a few minutes, we decided that we needed to shoot him.
It was a really big ram!
We let him feed into an opening that was about 250 yards away. I shot and hit the ram right behind the shoulder. Being the tough animal that they are he staggered about 40 yards and I put another one in him. He then went about 20 more yards and expired.
We walked up on a true trophy of a ram.
The outfitter was great with caping the animal out and getting things set up with the taxidermist. On the way out of the ranch we saw several other large groups of sheep, with nice rams in them. He was really knowledgeable about the ranch that we were hunting. He answered all of my questions and kept giving me information during the hunt. It was a quick hunt, but I couldn’t pass up the first ram that we saw. A big thank you for everything!
- How would you rate your trip overall? Great! The outfitter is a hard working guy. He truly loves hunting! He will do whatever he can to get you an animal. I would hunt with this outfitter again for sure.
- How were your guide(s)? Great
- How was your lodging? NA
- How was the food? NA
- How was your outfitters communication? Great
- How physically demanding was your trip? Easy
- How would you rate your consultant? Great Thanks for everything Russ!
- Would you book another trip with OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL in the future? Yes
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes
- Can we use this in social media? Yes