Derek Erven, Osceola Turkey Hunt Report
Honestly the birds were tough and gobblers were pretty “henned up”. But birds were there and we hunted them hard. We like that actually. We hunted two days because we had work obligations back home but we got it done! Two nice birds taken, and that final box was checked!
My cousin and I only lacked the Osceola turkey to have our Royal Slam. This has been a 20 year quest. Last year we decided it was time to check that last box. I researched Florida Osceola turkey hunts as I had many many times before. We are working class folks and many hunts I looked into were simply out of our price range. Then I found Mat and Outdoors International.
We stated what we wanted as hunters and then speaking with them about area locations, and past success rates etc; we decided this was our hunt. Each hunter I’m sure has different expectations and desires for how they envision their hunt. We are probably a bit different than many in this regard. We are Missouri turkey hunting guys who are pretty independent and we wanted a self hunt. That meaning we basically wanted a good area and access to property and we go after ’em ourselves. We did just that. We had a great time. Staff was very nice and hospitality was great. Area we stayed in was neat with fishing and recreational opportunities on site. Hunting areas were nearby.
The Outfitter would fully guide hunters completely or as with us, show us properties and let us do it alone which was our desire. Honestly the birds were tough and gobblers were pretty “henned up”. But birds were there and we hunted them hard. We like that actually. We hunted two days because we had work obligations back home but we got it done! Two nice birds taken, and that final box was checked!
- Overall, my trip was a great experience. Liked the fact they had a number of properties and let us do our own hunt.
- My outfitter’s communication before, during and after the trip was good.
- My guide was amazing.
- Physically, the trip was moderate.
- The food and accommodations were good.
- My consultant was Mat Cervantes.
- My consultant’s communication before, during and after the trip was good.
- My consultant was very knowledgeable, and a pleasure to talk to.
- Would you book another trip with us in the future? Yes
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes
- Can we use this in social media? Yes