HUNTER: Mark Erskine
HUNT: British Columbia Black Bear Hunt
Consultant: Russ Meyer | OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL
We went on a spot and stalk black bear hunt in northern BC. The outfitter, his wife Lana and their team of guides set up a great camp for us. Lana’s cooking was top notch and she created great meals daily. There is a lot of downtime in camp which we spent shooting arrows, working out at “Primitive CrossFit”, napping and building friendships with the other guys in camp (7 total).
A British Columbia black bear hunt typically starts around 5pm and goes until dark (about 10:00 pm) The weather we had was a bit fickle and it threw the bear activity off but you should typically see 3-6 bears a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. We ran into a few grizzly bears as well which was really cool, when they were at a distance! The hunt consists of driving logging roads, glassing clear cuts and meadows looking for feeding bears.
Here’s some gear to bring on your black bear hunt: I’d recommend bringing books, downloading movies, buying your own snacks to help pass the downtime. Also, bring a 75-100 qt cooler for cape and meat if your black bear hunt is successful. The weather can change quickly so be prepared for hot, cool and rain. This isn’t a strenuous hunt by any means and is more of a road hunt. I’d recommend comfort over backcountry gear.
The mosquitoes get nasty but if you spray all your clothes/backpack in advance with Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent as well as pack the Picaridin Lotion and a Thermacell your trip will be much more comfortable.
- Russ is a trusted resource and a friend. What more could you ask for in a consultant?!
- Overall, my trip was good. Hunting was slower than normal the week were were there, which obviously nobody can control. Some adjustment to the daily routine would have gone a long way to overcome the mental frustration of a slow hunt. Jeff and his crew are seasoned professionals and know the area and it’s bears well. They will get you onto bears, you gotta do the rest!
- My outfitter’s communication before, during and after the trip was good.
- My guide was good.
- Physically, the trip was easy.
- Food and accommodations should be rated separately. The food provided was really good and well prepared. The accommodations are primitive but got the job done. A few upgrades to the accommodations would go a long way. We did have to provide our own snacks for the downtime so bring anything you might typically want outside of normal meals. As expected in the bush there is no cell or internet but Jeff provides a house phone to call loved ones at no expense, a really nice feature.
- Would you book another trip with us in the future? Yes.
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes.
- Can we use this in social media? Yes.
Are you interested in booking a hunt like this?Ask For Pricing or More Information
Here are some bear hunts that you might like:
Ask Us About a Hunt Request pricing and availability
Discover why thousands of people have trusted Outdoors International to help plan their hunt.
Outdoors International has a team of hand-selected hunting experts to help you book your next hunt. Our job it is to help you in researching, booking and planning a great hunting trip with one of our amazing outfitter partners around the world.
My hunt was absolutely top notch.
The outfitter is a fantastic man and incredibly hard working and knowledgeable, there is no doubt he will do everything within his power to make peoples hunts successful and enjoyable. I plan to do it again with him next year for sure.
Our hunt was excellent.
We saw bucks every day along with all other sorts of wildlife. Mountain goats, bears, and foxes were common sights. Fishing and crabbing was special bonus. The food was excellent, the crew was amazing. Outdoors International did a great job of finding exactly what we were looking for.
What an amazing experience!
The hunting lodge was out of this world!, Rooms, food and the scenery were all A+. Our guide was exceptional and had us on Shiras moose all five days. We saw over 30 total with at least 10 bulls. They had a plan for everything including taxidermy and game processing.
LET'S START PLANNING YOUR NEXT TRIP
Be specific so we can find exactly what you're looking for.
THE OI DRAW
Apply to win a trip with one of our fully vetted outfitters.
Each drawing is capped making your odds better, and fully transparent. Apply as many times as you want, in essence creating your own odds.
Browse the active draws above and apply for any trip(s) that interest you, and purchase as many chances as you want to increase your odds.
There are a limited number of tickets available for each drawing.
Share with your friends!
This seems counter-intuitive, but we only draw a winner once all of the tickets for that drawing have been purchased.
OI DRAW WINNERS
I am so grateful for the opportunity
"Thank you to Outdoors International, all the PHs and their awesome staff. I made some new friends and will be back to Africa to see them again 100%."
-Brye Mangum | 2023 Winner
Thank you Outdoors International
"Very excited for the trip! I’ll be bringing my dad along with me. If you haven’t put in for the OI draws you should these guys are legit!"
-Tyler Kirk | 2018 Winner
It was the trip of a lifetime!
"I won an OI Draw and it turned out to be one of my most memorable and rewarding hunts. I always dreamed about Africa, but never thought it'd be a reality for me."
-Dason Lasater | 2018 Winner