HUNTER: Joel Frazier
HUNT: Alaska Unguided Moose Hunt
CONSULTANT: Kyle Hanson | OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL
September 8-17, 2021
- Day 1: Flew into the field and set up our camp and scouted that afternoon. Two cows and a nice bull spotted.
- Day 2:: Buddy shoots bull first thing (was the bull from the night before). Rest of day spent quartering and packing.
- Day 3: Finished packing my buddies bull and securing meat for pickup. No moose movement from my hunting.
- Day 4: Meat was picked up by pilot. Bad weather. No moose movement from my hunting.
- Day 5: Weather clears. We use raft to access a different area of lake. See two small bulls sparring.
- Day 6: Paddling to area from night before come across three bulls swimming across the lake. I shoot the largest of the three when he exits the water. Spend all day quartering and packing meat back to camp via raft.
- Day 7: Pack up camp and come out of the field with my moose meat.
- Day 8: Packed up our gear for next day flight (we were able to change our flight to come home early. Had beers at Fili’s Pizza (only place to have beer in Bethel, Alaska).
- Day 9: Fly home.
The Outfitter did a great job of getting us into the field and getting our camp and moose meat out in a timely manner.
We got to know several of the guys who work there and had a good time with them. One of their pilots was a huge help in getting us into the field as one of our bags didn’t show up, which had my buddies waders. The pilot drove us around Bethel where we were able to purchase a set of waders for my buddy so we could get into the field that day (actually purchased from their competitor). I have nothing bad to say about the operation, although communication could of been better I would go again in a heartbeat.
- How was your food and lodging? We brought our own camp and food which was a smart choice in my opinion as we ate incredibly well and had a very comfortable camp.
- How was your outfitters communication? Fair. The only downside to the outfitter was the communication as there were some opportunities. Several other groups of hunters we met experienced the same thing. Those who only communicated with the outfitter via Inreach had delayed responses and poor correspondence on pickups. We had a sat phone which was great as we were able to call home to our families and also the outfitter to speak directly with them when we had a moose down. We still had some miscommunication which were not a big deal but something to deal with. They are extremely busy at this time of year so I understand the issues they were facing and appeared to be short staffed.
- How physically demanding was your trip? Moderate.
- How would you rate your consultant? Kyle is the man, plan on going with him again on future hunts. Easy to communicate with and a down to earth guy.
- Would you book another trip with OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL in the future? Yes
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes
- Can we use this in social media? Yes – @frazierjoel
Discover why thousands of people have trusted Outdoors International to help plan their hunt.
Outdoors International has a team of hand-selected hunting experts to help you book your next hunt. Our job it is to help you in researching, booking and planning a great hunting trip with one of our amazing outfitter partners around the world.
My hunt was absolutely top notch.
The outfitter is a fantastic man and incredibly hard working and knowledgeable, there is no doubt he will do everything within his power to make peoples hunts successful and enjoyable. I plan to do it again with him next year for sure.
Our hunt was excellent.
We saw bucks every day along with all other sorts of wildlife. Mountain goats, bears, and foxes were common sights. Fishing and crabbing was special bonus. The food was excellent, the crew was amazing. Outdoors International did a great job of finding exactly what we were looking for.
What an amazing experience!
The hunting lodge was out of this world!, Rooms, food and the scenery were all A+. Our guide was exceptional and had us on Shiras moose all five days. We saw over 30 total with at least 10 bulls. They had a plan for everything including taxidermy and game processing.
LET'S START PLANNING YOUR NEXT TRIP
Be specific so we can find exactly what you're looking for.
Apply to Win a Trip in the OI Draw
Browse the active draws above.
Apply for any trip(s) that interest you as many times as you want to increase your odds.
For every $100 spent, you'll receive a free entry for our Yearly Grand Prize.
OI DRAW WINNERS
I am so grateful for the opportunity
"Thank you to Outdoors International, all the PHs and their awesome staff. I made some new friends and will be back to Africa to see them again 100%."
-Brye Mangum | 2023 Winner
Thank you Outdoors International
"Very excited for the trip! I’ll be bringing my dad along with me. If you haven’t put in for the OI draws you should these guys are legit!"
-Tyler Kirk | 2018 Winner
It was the trip of a lifetime!
"I won an OI Draw and it turned out to be one of my most memorable and rewarding hunts. I always dreamed about Africa, but never thought it'd be a reality for me."
-Dason Lasater | 2018 Winner