HUNTER: Steve Russo
HUNT: Washington Shiras Moose Hunt
CONSULTANT: Kyle Hanson | Outdoors International
I was drawn for an early season Washington bull moose tag after 13 years of applying for this bucket list hunt.
I and my 14 year old daughter arrived at the outfitters home the day before opening and we saw moose every day of what turned out to be a four day hunt. Most of the moose were bulls that we culled through to find the “right” one. Because it was during the rut, Josh did a great job of identifying and calling in the bulls. That made for one of the most exciting hunts I have been on particularly when you have a huge, angry moose coming in ready to do battle.
For the Shiras moose I killed, Josh spotted it following a cow along a ridge line then called it in from about 500 yards away. It was amazing to watch Josh use various calls to maneuver it right where it would present the best shooting opportunity. I ultimately shot it broadside at about 40 yards and it fortunately dropped right next to a logging road.
I learned a ton about moose hunting in those four days as Josh took the time to explain all the things he was seeing and doing. My daughter even shot her first grouse while on the trip through Josh’s help. Along with being a great guide, he is a genuinely nice human being and has a great family to boot.
The fact that I was able to share my Shiras moose hunt with my daughter and have such an experienced and compassionate guide to help us made for an amazing experience. It created memories for a lifetime. I was truly blessed to have found the right outfitter and guide.
- How would you rate your trip overall? Great
- How were your guide(s)? Great
- How was your lodging? Great
- How was the food? Great
- How was your outfitters communication? Great
- How physically demanding was your trip? Moderate
- Do you have anything to add about your outfitter? I would definitely use the outfitter again.
- How would you rate your consultant? Great
- Do you have anything to add about your consultant? Kyle did a great job of giving me the details, helping me apply for the right tag and allowing me to talk with the guide directly to understand exactly what I was getting into. I originally thought I might DIY the hunt, which is my normal MO, but after talking to the guide it became clear I would have been over my head. This was the first hunting guide I had ever used and was completely satisfied.
- Would you book another trip with OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL in the future? Yes
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes
- Can we use this in social media? Yes
Discover why thousands of people have trusted Outdoors International to help plan their hunt.
Outdoors International has a team of hand-selected hunting experts to help you book your next hunt. Our job it is to help you in researching, booking and planning a great hunting trip with one of our amazing outfitter partners around the world.
My hunt was absolutely top notch.
The outfitter is a fantastic man and incredibly hard working and knowledgeable, there is no doubt he will do everything within his power to make peoples hunts successful and enjoyable. I plan to do it again with him next year for sure.
Our hunt was excellent.
We saw bucks every day along with all other sorts of wildlife. Mountain goats, bears, and foxes were common sights. Fishing and crabbing was special bonus. The food was excellent, the crew was amazing. Outdoors International did a great job of finding exactly what we were looking for.
What an amazing experience!
The hunting lodge was out of this world!, Rooms, food and the scenery were all A+. Our guide was exceptional and had us on Shiras moose all five days. We saw over 30 total with at least 10 bulls. They had a plan for everything including taxidermy and game processing.
LET'S START PLANNING YOUR NEXT TRIP
Be specific so we can find exactly what you're looking for.
Apply to Win a Trip in the OI Draw
Browse the active draws above.
Apply for any trip(s) that interest you as many times as you want to increase your odds.
For every $100 spent, you'll receive a free entry for our Yearly Grand Prize.
OI DRAW WINNERS
I am so grateful for the opportunity
"Thank you to Outdoors International, all the PHs and their awesome staff. I made some new friends and will be back to Africa to see them again 100%."
-Brye Mangum | 2023 Winner
Thank you Outdoors International
"Very excited for the trip! I’ll be bringing my dad along with me. If you haven’t put in for the OI draws you should these guys are legit!"
-Tyler Kirk | 2018 Winner
It was the trip of a lifetime!
"I won an OI Draw and it turned out to be one of my most memorable and rewarding hunts. I always dreamed about Africa, but never thought it'd be a reality for me."
-Dason Lasater | 2018 Winner