Jack Burton, Unguided Caribou Hunt Report
Unguided Caribou Hunt in Alaska
This was an excellent caribou hunt. I started planning this trip one and half years ago with Russ Meyer from Outdoors International helping the whole way. Using a hunt planning adviser was well worth it, since this trip required so much planning and having Russ help out eased allot of stress for us. This trip was certainly worth taking and being able to take both of my sons created an excellent father/son experience. The memories we have from this trip will last for the rest of our lives, regardless of how many other trips we have the opportunity to take together. Going on a DIY Caribou hunt in the Arctic was a thrill. From planning logistics and gear, to finally being able to go, the whole experience was well worth it.
The transporter in Alaska was awesome, they treated us excellent and the communications while we were in the field were great. We saw caribou each day we were in the field, that is not saying much, since we harvested our animals on the second day in the field. We were on our way back to camp after spending the day glassing the river bend and tracking a couple of different herds, waiting for them to come across the river, which they never did. So we decided to head back to base camp around 5:30 that evening to get some dinner and when we crested the other side of the mountain towards camp we saw four shooter bulls about 1,500 yards away grazing on this side of the river bed. We decided to try and put on a sneak on them.
It took us about an hour or so to get into a shooting position of 400 yards or so. After we got settled down for a few minutes all three of us were able to harvest a bull to our liking. All of us had a blast, literally, picking our bulls and filling our tags. The valley we shot them in was picturesque and we were able to spend the evening cleaning our animals. Spent the next day hauling them back to camp. Which took several trips across that terrain. Which was very difficult to navigate.
This hunt was a blessing for me to be able to spend time together with both of my sons, since they are now grown and doing their own things. I think this is a trip my boys will remember for ever. We are already planning our next big adventure, not sure what it will be, but Russ will be a part of the planning and making sure we have reputable outfitter to work with.
- Overall, my trip was amazing, I couldn’t have asked for more.
- My outfitter’s communication before, during and after the trip was perfect, I couldn’t have asked for more.
- My guide was good.
- Physically, the trip was extreme.
- The food was good.
- The accommodations were good.
My consultant was Russ Meyer.
- My consultant’s communication before, during and after the trip was perfect, I couldn’t have asked for more. Very knowledgeable. Lots of communication and Russ answered all of my questions. Trust me, I ask a lot of them when I am planning this type of a trip. I am already discussing my next trip with Russ.
- My consultant was very knowledgeable, and a pleasure to talk to.
- Would you book another trip with us in the future? Yes
- Can we use your stories and/or photos on our website? Yes
- Can we use this in social media? Yes