Firearms Restrictions in Saskatchewan, like the rest of Canada is very strict. Under Canadian law, visitors are not allowed to import firearms and defensive sprays for personal protection. Visitors who are at least 18 years old may import ordinary rifles and shotguns for hunting, sporting use, competition, movement in transit, or for protection against wildlife in remote areas (excluding National Parks). The importation is allowed, provided the customs is satisfied with the circumstances of the importation.

Firearms Restrictions in Saskatchewan

All weapons – including firearms, mace, tear gas and pepper spray – must be declared to customs upon arrival in Saskatchewan.

Restricted firearms include:

  • Most handguns;
  • Semi-automatic rifles and shotguns that are capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition, have barrels between 105 mm (4.14 inches) and 470 mm (18.5 inches) long, and are not otherwise prohibited;
  • Firearms designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping and other means; and
  • Firearms restricted by regulations.

Prohibited firearms include:

  • Handguns with barrels less than or equal to 105 mm (4.14 inches) long;
  • Handguns designed or adapted to discharge a 25- or 32-calibre cartridge;
  • Firearms adapted from rifles or shotguns by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, that, when adapted in this way, are less than 660 mm (26 inches) long or have a barrel that is less than 457 mm (18.5 inches) long;
  • Automatic firearms, whether or not altered to fire in the manner of a semi-automatic firearm; and
  • Firearms prohibited by regulations.

If you were born after January 1, 1971, you’re required to provide proof that you have successfully completed the Saskatchewan firearm safety/hunter education training. Or proof from a similar recognized course from another jurisdiction before you can buy, hold, or apply for a hunting or trapping licence. If requested to do so by the licence vendor, you must produce a valid certificate or you will be denied a licence.