Colorado has done a great job of managing their mule deer herd, and it’s at or near the top of the list as a premium state for western hunters. Rifle hunters should look at Garfield, Eagle and Mesa counties when they’re applying for tags. Bowhunters should focus on the Colorado Eastern Plains region. If you’re looking to book a hunt with an outfitter, we have access to some ranches with spectacular mule deer hunting across the state.
Colorado is the clear-cut leader for mule deer hunting.
It’s the first state we recommend hunters apply for if they want a true giant.
- Colorado offers many seasons for all types of hunters.
- Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts.
- Very few points are needed to draw some 2nd and 3rd season rifle tags. There is no other state in the West where you can draw a high trophy quality tag with 0 to 1 point.
- If you don’t draw, we have Ranching For Wildlife tags available on private ranches.
- We also have access to hunting vouchers throughout the western states.
- Remote backcountry options with little hunting pressure.
- Trophy quality on mule deer hunting in Colorado ranges from 150 to over 200 inches.
- Good combo options for elk. Colorado has the highest elk population of all the states.