Bonefishing is an awesome melding of hunting and fishing, so you need to stay alert for fish coming in. Your Bahamas fishing guide will probably use the ‘clock’ system to guide your casting to the fish – i.e. “There’s a fish at 1 o’clock, thirty feet out”, cast there… quickly! If it is possible, you should try to spot the fish before you cast, and don’t forget to lead it because bonefish can be pretty spooky if you ‘line’ them or plop a fly right on their heads. Learning to spot fish, even with your guide’s assistance, will help your success rate tremendously. Sound fun?
Why You Should Consider Bahamas Fishing
- BIG bonefish live in the Bahamas. Lots of big bonefish.
- There are a lot of opportunities for either wading or poling, depending on your preferences and the conditions.
- In addition to bonefish, you can fish for barracuda, sharks, and the occasional permit or tarpon.
- Fishing season in the Bahamas runs from October through the beginning of June.
South Andros Island
Fly fishing for bonefish on the flats of South Andros Island in the Bahamas
The Bahamas are known for big bonefish, and this outfitter is known to produce. I feel confident that if you want to go fly fishing for bones, this is the trip for you. They’ll get you plenty of shots. Fish in the tidal creeks on the East side of the island, hundreds of small keys off the southern tip of the island, the West side of South Andros Island is known for big fish, and inland ponds and creeks in the middle of the island. Some parts of the island hold larger groups of fish while others are home to larger fish, but smaller schools.
South Andros Island is an incredible fishery with superb guides and the service is excellent. The environment… well, it’s the Bahamas.
- Whether you are a novice fisherman, or an expert, you will have a blast bonefishing on the saltwater flats of South Andros Island with this great outfitter.
- The location is epic, and the food is great. The overall feel is relaxing, but not formal.
Photos: Cameron Miller, Andros South Staff, Ric Fogel/Sportfolio
We’d love to help you find a great fishing guide.
Whether you just want to know some prices, or need more information about one of our destinations, OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL is here as a resource, and it won’t cost you a thing.