Iowa deer hunting is considered by many hunters as the heavyweight of Midwestern whitetail states. Iowa ranks #2 according to both the Pope and Young and Boone and Crockett records, even though it gives out the least amount of tags of any other state excluding Kansas. Many hunters consider Iowa to be the best state in the Midwest for trophy whitetails.
Iowa Deer Hunting Seasons
No rifle hunting is allowed in Iowa. This state only allows shotgun, muzzleloader, handgun and archery seasons.
The archery hunt is possibly the best whitetail deer hunting in the world, but it has gotten very difficult to draw a tag (but it’s worth the wait). Because it’s become so difficult to draw an archery tag, the gun hunts have been exceptional because some farms go nearly un-hunted until the firearms seasons. Hunter safety certificate may be required if born on or after January 1, 1967.
Iowa hunters are chosen by a draw system, and they do have preference points.
- Hunter safety certificate may be required if born on or after January 1, 1967.
- No rifle hunting is allowed in Iowa. Iowa only allows shotgun, muzzleloader, handgun and archery seasons.
- Archery Season: 4th week October, through November
- Shotgun/ Muzzleloader Seasons:
- 1st Season begins the first Saturday in December
- 2nd Season begins the second Saturday in December
- Late December through early January (muzzleloader only)
Are you interested in booking a hunt?Ask For Pricing or More Information
Here are some other hunts that you might like:
Request Pricing, Availability or More Information
Just fill out the form below, and please be thorough so we can get you exactly the type of hunt you're looking for.