Iowa Deer Hunting
Iowa Deer Hunting
Iowa deer hunting is considered by many hunters as the heavyweight of Midwestern whitetail states.
Iowa ranks #2 according to both the Pope and Young and Boone and Crockett records, even though it gives out the least amount of tags of any other state excluding Kansas.
Why you should consider deer hunting in Iowa:
No rifle hunting is allowed in Iowa. This state only allows shotgun, muzzleloader, handgun and archery seasons. The archery hunt is possibly the best whitetail deer hunting in the world, but it has gotten very difficult to draw a tag (but it’s worth the wait). Because it’s become so difficult to draw an archery tag, the gun hunts have been exceptional because some farms go nearly un-hunted until the firearms seasons.
Iowa Deer Hunting Seasons
Iowa hunters are chosen by a draw system, and they do have preference points. Hunter safety certificate may be required if born on or after January 1, 1967.
- Archery Season: 4th week October, through November
- Shotgun/ Muzzleloader Seasons:
- 1st Season begins the first Saturday in December
- 2nd Season begins the second Saturday in December
- Late December through early January (muzzleloader only)
Whitetail Deer Hunting in Iowa
This outfitter have a commitment to high-quality whitetail deer hunting opportunities for the true trophy hunter.
Iowa deer hunting with this outfitter is on roughly 5,000 well-managed acres in Zone 5. You’ll be in Appanoose County between Albia and Centerville near Moravia, Iowa.
They have some of the best deer hunting ground in Iowa and in Missouri, and an abundance of young deer that will easily score 125 to 135 inches. However those same deer will score 150 to 200 inches if allowed to grow. Because of this They have a minimum antler size of 140 inches for 10 points, and 135 inches for 8 points.
- A proven leader with over 30 years experience guiding whitetail deer hunters.
- They manage the land for trophy animals with strict management policies that protect the natural genetics.
- Great meals and accommodations.
- They manage roughly 5,000 acres in Iowa, and 6,500 acres in Missouri.
- They farm the land as well and manipulate the crops for the best deer hunting possible.
Zone 5 is known as the best deer hunting in Iowa.
- Minimum score of 140 inches.
- Archery hunts are pre, and post rut in October through November.
- Gun hunts are in December.
- Muzzleloader hunts go late-December through early January.
- Giant bucks hit the ground in every Iowa deer hunting season.
- All deer hunting in Iowa is by draw only.
Have questions about one of our trips?
We’re here to help you book the perfect trip, and our advice doesn’t cost you a thing.
My buck— eleven scorable points, lots of smaller extras, over 17 ½” of inside spread with heavy mass, and a field dressed weight at 215 lbs. The meat will be enjoyed this winter, and soon the antlers will hang on my wall for me to glance at occasionally and remember the turkeys in the hayfield, the smell of acorns on damp ground, and even the super moon that was visible during my sitting a deer stand and reminiscing of hunts in years gone by this past fall. Thank you Outdoors International.
I recently returned from a late season whitetail hunt in Dimmit County, in South Texas. What happened will go down in history as one of the greatest hunts of my life. I was hunting a buck that I’ve been chasing for the past five years. He’s a 14 year old legend we call Indigo, and he’s been an impossible deer to hunt for his entire mature life (since he was five).
Great outfitter. Great trophy whitetail hunting areas. Many ground blind and tree stand placements before the season allowing good positioning for wind. Constant monitoring of trail cams by the outfitter.
I was unsuccessful on my Kansas whitetail hunt, but absolutely I was happy! The hunt was great! However the weather killed us due to no one’s fault. The hunters right before me had great luck. The outfitter was very apologetic but the weather was out of his control. I’ll be going back next year.
I had no idea how much I would love deer hunting in Texas!