Black Bear Hunting Arizona
Few hunters realize that Arizona black bear hunting is VERY good, with a great population of record book size black bears.
Most hunters know all about the great deer and elk hunting found in Arizona but very few hunters realize that black bear hunting is VERY good as well. With a great population of record book size black bears, it is a good place to hunt. When black bear hunting Arizona, keep in mind that the bears tend to run slightly smaller in body size than their northern counterparts but what they may lack in body they make up for with skull size.
Most bear hunters ignore Arizona, leaving A LOT of record book bear hunting opportunities underutilized.
You’ll Usually be Hunting “Bears in the Pears”.
The terrain that you will be doing your hunting in will surprise you. Many Arizona black bears can be found in low desert country! They LOVE to feed on prickly pear cactus, they call it “Bears in the Pears.” There are plenty of trophy sized bruins… and an amazing 90%+/- are color phased.
Spot-and-Stalk is Typically the Game!
It is illegal to bait for bears in Arizona (other than on the Reservations), so the most effective bear hunting strategy is finding a food source and glass for a monster bear. Once you find a shooter, plan a stalk or try some predator calling…. which can get exciting. Hound hunting is legal, and can be a fun option.
If you are looking for a big colored bear, give Arizona a try.
White Mountain Apache Bear Hunting
Several of the top Boone and Crockett black bears have come off the White Mountain Reservation.
This outfitter has been operating on the famous White Mountain Apache Reservation since 1982. They specialize in trophy quality black bear hunting, and the White Mountain Apache Nation is home to some of the premier black bear hunting in the world. Known for having large color phase bears, the Tribal biologist estimates that 50% of all the bears on the Reservation are color phase. For this specific hunting unit, we believe this number to be even higher!
For the spring/summer hunting season, each outfitter is assigned their own area. This outfitter operates in Area 1, and they have strived to manage the bear population in this unit to produce old mature boars. It is the goal to have a sow harvest percentage of less than 10% annually. They have met that goal yearly, without fail.
- World class black bear hunting with extremely high percentage of color phase bears.
- White Mountain Apache Reservation in eastern/central Arizona.
- Western style wall tent camp, with camp trailers available if special accommodations are desired.
- Full time cook excellent food.
- Guaranteed tags.
- Two bears per hunter.
- Spring Hunts – May 1 through August 31. (The May and June dates have excellent weather in the 7,000 ft elevation Ponderosa mountains of Arizona.)
- Fall Hunts – October 10 through November 15.
You can hunt just about anyway you would like.
You truly have free reign to choose to hunt however you wish, and the outfitter will cater to your wants and needs. Tags are purchased by the outfitter from the Tribal Game and Fish Department. Each hunter may purchase up to two tags per yea, and there can be up to four hunters in camp per week.
- The outfitter has highly trained hounds that excel year round on both mountain lion and black bear.
- You can hunt over bait sites, with either a rifle or a bow.
- You can spot-and-stalk, or sit water in the hot summer months.