New Zealand Tahr Hunts
New Zealand Wilderness Himalayan Tahr Hunts (with the option to add chamois).
Wilderness hunting takes place in the most spectacular and remote parts of New Zealand’s Southern Alps. No roads, no civilization, just mountains, rivers and fresh air. Tahr and chamois can be found in good to moderate numbers depending on the area and can often be found in close proximity to each other. If you wish to hunt red deer and other species we will move down to private land after your mountain hunt.
- Hunting season is April through July, but the best hunting is during the tahr rut in May and June.
- We focus on mature bull tahr hunting in the 8-10 year age class. These bulls have big capes and horns in the 11-14″ class.
- High Success rate. Our rifle hunts run 100% opportunity.
- You can make it a combo (and most do) by adding a chamois to your hunt.
- This is a wilderness hunt based form a tent camp.
Tahr hunting in New Zealand is a real mountain hunting experience.
This is the most challenging and therefore most rewarding form of hunting in New Zealand. This is comparable to sheep or mountain goat hunts of North America and Asia. The terrain and weather can make these hunts a challenge but the respect for the terrain and animals that inhabit it, is truly earned and the trophy means that much more.
We access these hunts with a short but scenic helicopter trip, flying through some of the most pristine and beautiful scenery in the world. The helicopter will land at a basic campsite where tents are used as accommodation. We then day hunt the surrounding area on foot. We also have the options of ‘spike’ camping out depending on weather and fitness levels.
Call to Book Your Hunt
We’ll help you choose the best hunt for your budget and goals.