Bear Hunting Washington
Washington Bear Hunts
With a population estimated to number nearly 30,000 animals, Washington State has some of the best black bear hunting in the United States.
Bear hunting Washington provides some of the best opportunity for trophy bear hunting in the country. The use of hounds or bait have been illegal for years now, and these bears have gone unpressured and get big!
Why you should consider black bear hunting in Washington:
- High populations and incredible bear hunting. Black bear population density in parts of Washington state rival the population densities found in Southeast Alaska and British Columbia.
- Little hunting pressure when compared to some of the other states, due mostly to the fact that Washington does not allow baiting or hound hunting.
- As in Alberta and British Columbia, you can take two bears in Washington.
Spot and Stalk Hunts
Trophy spot-and-stalk Washington bear hunts on the Olympic Peninsula.
This hunt is just across the border from Vancouver Island which is world famous for trophy black bears. Washington has the highest bear population in the lower 48, and these Washington bear hunts on the Olympic Peninsula give our hunters a great chance at a trophy coastal black bear. Washington also offers two bear tags per hunter, which makes these hunts even more attractive.
If spot-and-stalk trophy black bear hunting is what you are looking for, this may be the one for you. You will be glassing a clear cut, and most times you hear the bears before you see them come out of the thick rainforest. With virtually zero hunting pressure, this outfitter targets bears that will square larger than six feet.
- Hunting season starts early in August and goes through October.
- These are spot-and-stalk Washington bear hunts. You will glass pre-scouted clear cuts and berry fields early in the morning and in the evening. Stopping for a lunch break at mid-day. Sometimes, calling can be effective as well.
- 80% success rate over the past few years.
- 95% of their hunters have an opportunity at a bear.
- You can expect prime-pelted bears, and big ones are the norm. Bears squaring seven feet and over are fairly common now that hound hunting and bear baiting was banned years ago.
- This outfitter is a long-range shooting enthusiast, so this is a great hunt if that interests you.
The outfitter has an intimate knowledge of the area, and keeps tabs on the big bears that are hitting the clear cuts. I hunted bears here in August of 2015. While I didn’t get a huge bear, my friend Brandon got one that was well over six feet. This is a fun hunt.”
Cory Glauner | Founder of Outdoors International
Have questions about one of our hunts?
We’re here to help you book the perfect trip, and our advice doesn’t cost you a thing.
Russ my miracle worker put together the ultimate grizzly bear hunt for me. The guide I had, Rick took it from there, and helped me fulfill a lifelong dream. Russ and Rick tag teamed this so perfect, I couldn’t think of a better hunt ever!
Incredible trip! Lots of opportunity for big bears. Outfitter was very encouraging of bowhunters.
We had a wonderful trip beginning with the guide picking us up at the Powell River airport. We made a short trip to the dock and took the boat to the base camp about 45 minutes across the inlets. The first day was very eventful with sighting two black bears and stalking both. The first was a good bear but “not large enough for the first day”.
As we began to leave Johnny spotted a very large bear on the beach about a mile away. After two stalks we were within 31 yards and I took my shot. Although not perfect the hit was good enough allow us to get another arrow in to the bear. It was 7:30 in the evening and we skinned and loaded the bear in the boat and back to camp late that evening. The cook had a great meal waiting for us and the entire camp wanted to hear the story. The rest of the week was spent sightseeing British Columbia, fishing, crabbing and picking up oysters for dinner.
By the way, My wife loved the trip and would recommend it to any lady who wants to see what their husband does on these hunts.
Overall the trip was great. Bear hunting was great, and a little fishing as a bonus. Harvested a nice bear. Accommodations were sufficient. Food was good. Guides were fantastic. It was trip of lifetime.
I don’t think I have ever laughed as hard as I did that week. They are down-to-earth people and an absolute blast to be around! I would recommend this FAIR CHASE hunt to anybody! The bear hunting was excellent. We saw double figures in bears each day we were hunting, with several opportunities on stalks each day.
This is an archery hunters dream to go on this hunt. I shot THREE bears in one night. One brown and two black bears. I then shot a third black bear on the last night.
Hunting bears with this outfitter was a wonderful experience. This hunt is great value for the money! My guide, Lyle was an extremely knowledgeable hunter and great all-around guy.
I wanted you all to know what an extraordinary trip I felt it was! Thank you all for everything! It was awesome and couldn’t have been better! I wanted you all to know what an extraordinary trip I felt it was! Thank you all for everything! It was awesome and couldn’t have been better!