Mountain Goat Hunting Alaska
If you want to go mountain goat hunting Alaska makes for an incredible first time mountain hunt and is the perfect “training ground” for sheep hunting.
Alaska mountain goats are very affordable to hunt in comparison to hunting goats in Canada. Also, for the most part, the elevations are much lower as well. With severe winters being the norm, goats grow coats that are second to none, and our hunters take Boone and Crockett billies almost every year.
Mountain Goat Hunting Alaska
- Guaranteed, OTC tags.
- Hunting goats in Alaska is affordable compared to other areas.
- You’ll be hunting lower elevations. In some cases, you might fly in and land at elevation and hunt from there without having to climb up to where the goats live.
- Alaska has lots of goats. It’s common to see 10-20 mountain goats every day.
- You can expect good trophy quality. OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL clients take B&C and P&Y billies almost every year.
- Combo with moose, grizzly bear, brown bear, or a caribou.
- Contact us for pricing and availability.
Typically, you will be base camping out of tents (and sometimes cabins) down in the valley floors glassing for a billy up in the high country. Once one is found, you will climb up with a spike camp, and hunt out of your backpack until you are successful. Most of our hunters harvest with only one day at higher elevations, but come prepared for hunting hard. If that doesn’t sound like your cup of tea, we do have some more elaborate upgrades.
Outfitters: BAKO4, AFG2
Prince William Sound
The Prince William Sound area of Alaska has some of the highest mountain goat populations in the world.
The coastal mountains of Prince William Sound aren’t just beautiful, but trophy quality mountain goats are plentiful. Not only lack of elevation (usually 300-4,400 ft), but also the sheer number of quality billies make this hunt special. Our hunting areas don’t get much hunting pressure, so you won’t be seeing other hunters while you are in the field. In fact, we have areas where you’ll be hunting mountain goats that have never seen a human…and in this day and age that’s pretty cool! Because of that, trophy quality is excellent.
These are trophy mountain goat hunts and Boone and Crockett billies are taken almost every year.
- Your Alaska hunting license and mountain goat tags are over-the-counter. These are registration areas for goat hunts, so permits can and will be done online when your guide picks you up.
- Our hunters have high success on big mountain goats. It is common to see 10-20 goats per day.
- If the weather cooperates and you are in decent shape, you will have an opportunity. Goats average 8.5 to 10.5 inches, with some record book billies.
- These goats have hair quality that is unsurpassed anywhere in the country!
- We offer 1:1 and 2:1 mountain goat hunts. The 1:1 hunts always give you the best chance for success, and we highly recommend going that route.
- Hunting season is September through January (varies slightly by unit). The later you go, the better the hide will be.
- One cool thing about mountain goat hunting Alaska, is that you can often make your hunt a combo by adding a brown bear, black bear or a moose. That said, it is a good idea to stay focused on mountain goats until you harvest your billy.
- Bowhunters are welcome! Our clients taken multiple Pope and Young mountain goats on these Alaska hunts in the Prince William Sound area.
- Spots are limited, so contact us quickly if you’re interested in a hunt.
They target older, mature billy’s with horns averaging between 9 and 10 inches, and they have an incredible success rate of 95-100% depending on the year. Hunting season is September through January, but the hair on mountain goats is what makes the trophy in most people’s’ opinions, so we suggest you hunt between October and the end of January.
These are Fly-in Mountain Goat Hunts
This is a backpack hunt, but you will fly into elevation and be staying in wall tents with stoves and real food. On most goat hunts, you camp in the lower country, glassing up until you find your target billy…then the work begins. On this hunt, you shouldn’t have to do that big climb. You’re already at elevation, giving you a huge advantage!
This is set up to be an “easy” mountain goat hunt, but does have the potential to be a fairly physical hunt, depending on the situation. They haven’t made any exercise equipment that will prepare you for the real thing, but the harder you work to get yourself in shape before the hunt the better and easier it will be for you. That said, this is a mountain goat hunt that almost anyone can do.
As long as you’re in decent shape, you can do this mountain goat hunt! Do yourself a favor and get in shape prior to your hunt. You won’t regret it. We promise.
There is also a vessel-based mountain goat hunt option.
Our vessel-based mountain goat hunt out of Valdez, Alaska are highly sought after, and take you to some of the most incredible landscapes in the world. Since this hunt is vessel based, you typically glass from the saltwater, then a stalk is formulated. It is rough, rugged, absolutely beautiful terrain, so we recommend you come in good shape. A 3,500′ + vertical climb is required in some situations, so physical fitness and leg / knee strength are requirements for success. Most of our clients harvest with only one day at higher elevations, but come prepared for hunting hard. Availability for this hunt is VERY limited. Get ahold of us to start planning.
If you’re drawn to unique, wild and rugged places, mountain goat hunting on Kodiak Island is truly an experience of a lifetime!
Our hunts on Kodiak take place on over 100,000 acres of private land. You will access the hunting areas with trucks and ATV’s which will allow you to cover more ground in a day. Don’t let that fool you though, lots of hiking is involved as the goats will be up in the alpine. The better shape you are in the more enjoyable and successful your Alaska mountain goat hunt will be.
As this hunt is a draw hunt it is important to contact us before you put in for the draw.
- Hunt private land on famed Kodiak Island.
- 100% success to date on mature billies (but that is NOT a guarantee).
- Trucks and 4-wheelers are used to access trails for backpacking into goat country.
- Add Sitka blacktail or sea duck hunting for an added fee.
- Full refund of deposit if hunter does not draw a tag.
- Trophy goats with amazing hides are the goal.
- Applications are due in December, so don’t wait!
You’ll spend a lot of time glassing high mountain bowls and ridges. You will see multiple herds of goats daily on Kodiak Island. We have had 100% success on goats since we started guiding goats on Kodiak, but success is never guaranteed. Target mature billies, but hunt is either sex, any weapon.
We’d love to help you book a hunt.
Whether you just want to know some prices, or need more information about one of our destinations, OUTDOORS INTERNATIONAL is here as a resource, and it won’t cost you a thing.
Just fill out the form below or give us a call at (208) 991-4868 and we’ll get started matching your priorities, budget, timing and expectations to the ideal destination.